40

The break dragged. It was boring and sad, life seemed to just be pulled through their bodies. Life was not the same.

The break you got during senior year was supposed to be fun, we were supposed to go tour colleges and meet recruiters all break.

But here they are back at Liberty like nothing ever happened. 

"Hi, Winston" Izabela stated as she walked by him in the hallway. 

"Hey um, how was your summer?"

"It was uh, it happened." she shrugged looking up at the boy.

"yeah I know, it dragged for me too..." he smiled sadly at the girl.

"Well, welcome to liberty. I'll see you around." she smiled gripping her bookbag and walking away from him, her head low. 

"See you around..." he said as he watched the girl disappear down the hallway.

-

"Estela, hi. How are you?" 

"Hi Issy, I'm as good as I can be you know? Considering..."

"Yeah I know, sorry I haven't come around in a couple of weeks, I was up working on some stuff for school & his tribute."

"Yeah I know, the football guys tried to force me to wear a jersey for him." she rolled her eyes.

"seriously? why would they do that? It's your choice to wear it or not, that's not right..."

"Are you um... are you wearing yours?"

"I um, yes I am but because I want. If you don't want to you don't have to." she smiled at the small girl who returned the soft smile.

"If you need anything, let me know. I'll be around okay?"

"Okay, thank you." She smiled at the girl and walked away. 

-

It was hard going about your day at school when people stare and whisper. It's hard to focus and actually learn something when everyone's eyes are on you because your best friend was arrested for murder along with rape and then he got murdered in jail. 

"Is there a reason you have been staring at me the entire period?" she whipped her head to the side and snapped at the kid to her right.

"I uh... I just um wanted to know if you have a boyfriend."

"Bullshit... but yeah I do so stop being weird and staring at me." she rolled her eyes and turned her head back toward the front of the classroom. 

The final bell rang and off she went to the front double doors to get out of school and out of the weirdest, the most awkward first day of school.

"Hey babe, how was the first day of school?" He kissed the girl that slipped into the passenger seat before she let out a loud huff.

The two avoided each other in school, acted like they didn't know one another because they didn't want anyone in their business.

"Scotty, I don't know if I can do this all year." she threw her head back into the seat. 

"Babe hey, look at me." He pulled her face to look at him.

"You're going to be okay. Losing someone that meant what Monty meant to you is hard to overcome but you have been holding up so great babe because your strong and we are going to find a way to claim his innocence no matter what okay?"

She nodded looking at her once again boyfriend.

"Let's go get some brownie ice cream how does that sound?"