Chapter 31

~Sam~

Everything was dark. It's like I was standing in a dark hallway and the walls crept closer, ready to consume me. I closed my eyes hoping it was just a bad dream and I would wake up in my room.

I opened my eyes to see that I was in a glass case and water was rapidly filling. My throat felt dry and my breath got caught in my throat. This never happened to me before. Well this indicated that my powers were useless. I tried to open the glass by pounding on it but my energy was drowning rapidly. The water level had reached till my waist.

I let my arms fall to my sides. I didn't have any strength in my body. Then I heard someone calling my name. My head perked up and I strained my ears. It was hard to concentrate since the water level was rising rapidly. "Sam. Sam you can do this. I love you. Please come back to me." I heard Ash say. He sounded sad. I wanted to go to him and comfort him but I couldn't. Or could I. With all my strength I tried breaking the glass again. After a few tries, cracks were appearing on the walls. This motivated me to go further.

With water up to my neck, I was finally able to break through and opened my eyes to see that I was in my infirmary. I recognised it since I have spent a lot of time here. I tried to sit up but winced as pain shot up from my back and my head. I slowly lied back down. I turned my head to the side to see Ash was fast asleep on the chair beside the bed. Even in his sleep his hand had a firm grip on mine.

I smiled but it soon faded. He looked pale and worn with dark circles prominent under his eyes. He looked like he hadn't eaten well and the veins on wrists and forearms were little more protruding than usual. I lifted his hand to my lips and kissed his hand softly. His eyes shot open and he looked at me. His blue-green eyes looked striking which made his dark circles look less prominent. He bent down and kissed me softly, stroking my jaw gently as if I were made of glass.

"Hi." I whispered. His eyes started to water and he sniffed.

"I missed you so much." He started to cry softly and buried his face in my stomach. I gently stroked his hair. His shoulders were shaking noticeably. Wait. How long have I been on this bed?

"Hey. You're not hurt, are you?"

"No. Shut up. You're the one in bed. Not me." He mumbled, not looking up, his voice hoarse from crying. He wasn't hiccupping, which was good.

"How long have I been out?"

"Ten days." 

"What!?" I exclaimed. He looked up and wiped his tears away. It was my record. before it was eight days.

"Well yeah. You don't know hard it was just staring at your face?"

I smiled sadly. Sadly, I did. "Actually I do. I had watched my mom sleep for about a month before she died."

"Oh god. I'm so sorry." He whispered, wiping away a tear that had rolled out my eye.

"I have to tell the others." He stood up but I grabbed his hand.

"No. Stay please." he looked torn. I scooted a little on my bed to create space for him. He sighed and laid carefully beside me, nuzzling my neck. His soft breaths told me that he was fast asleep, but I wasn't sleepy. I stayed awake. I actually just watched him sleep. He looked so peaceful and vulnerable. He was wearing a t-shirt which exposed his arms. There was a scar on his left forearm. I slowly lifted his t-shirt. It was purely for checking for bruises and scars, not for his abs. There was another scar there, on his side. It was barely visible but there. I pulled his t-shirt back down.

The sun was rising and light poured in through the transculent white curtains. "Come on Ash. You need to eat something." I heard Sammy say. The door opened fully and I closed my eyes, pretending to still be in a coma. That seemed to wake up Ash. "No. I'm good here."  I heard him sigh and the door closed and I heard Ash "Coast is clear." whisper in my ear. I opened my eyes and grinned.

"Why didn't you go downstairs to eat?"

"Well he will bring the others here and then you can surprise them. I'll tap your hand twice."

I grinned and kissed his cheek. "I love how you get me." I closed my eyes again as I heard footsteps outside. I heard the door open. 

"Come on Ash. You need to eat something." I heard my dad say.

"I'll only eat when she wakes up." He said stubbornly.

"You have been saying that for the past ten days. You need strength. Sam would've wanted you to eat." Sid said sympathetically. Wait. He hadn't eaten for ten days? No wonder he looked thin.

I opened my eyes. "You guys are talking as if I'm already dead." I said. I lifted my head a little to look at their shocked faces. I grinned.

Then they all started taking at once and surrounded my bed. I tried to sit up but it hurt. Ash and dad helped me sit up. "Hi. Can I get to eat something? I'm hungry. Oh and don't forget about Ash."

My dad's eyes watered and he smiled. "You are such an idiot." he hugged me gently. "Eggs and hot chocolate coming up." My stomach grumbled in agreement. Everyone started laughing and I joined in. This was the best moment. My family were my everything and I could to go to any limits to keep them safe. My sweet family.

Hey. The story isn't over yet. Hold on. Sorry for the long chapter. Until next time.