16 Claudia

Tuesday morning, Carlos introduced me to the curator who would be in charge of the exhibition work from the side of the Prado museum. Her name is Claudia. I remember her from my internship; I think she went to university with Carlos.

Claudia is a friendly woman in her late thirties, her hair is cut in a short black bob, and her clothes scream comfortable – I think it will be awesome to work with her. Carlos brought us all Coffee and croissants – "you girls need some energy," he smiled and left us.

Claudia and I started scanning through the documents that Juan had mailed to me – and she was delighted "this exhibition will be something different, you know, I think we should have the main focus on the relationship between Goya and Maya. It's some pretty juicy stuff in the letters  Juan sent us from Sevilla," Claudia smiled, and asked me to come along to lunch.

We cross the plaza outside of the museum and sat down at a small sidewalk café. "I'm so happy you are back in Carlos' life," she said as we ordered our food. "He has been looked depressed for the last few years and look at him now – he is glowing."I was panicking – I didn't want our relationship to be common knowledge, "Yeah, I guess he is equally excited about this exhibition as I am" Professional Alma! I felt my cheeks got an unwanted tint of tomato red.

Claudia threw her head back and laughed – "You silly girl, he is glowing because you are back in his life. Don't you think we noticed when you were an intern here? You and Carlos were all over each other every time you didn't think anyone saw you."

"Claudia, I'm here as a curator. I'm here to do a professional job. Carlos and me – it's complicated, and forget about it. I don't want people to think I got the job because I fucked Carlos."

Claudia laughs again, "Alma, Carlos, and I have been best friends since university. There are very few things he can hide from me; I think that is one of the main reasons why he teamed us two up. He knows we are both very good at what we are doing, and he is a close friend to both of us. So relax Alma, he has cried on my shoulder more than once."

I like Claudia, she is a few years older than me, and her entire person screams trust!

Carlos came walking across the plaza looking for us."There you are!" A huge smile appeared on his face when he saw us.

"Alma – did you bring a semi-formal dress?" Carlos looked at me, "why?" I asked. "Next weekend, your dear boss Francis is coming here. There is going to be a Spanish American reception hosted by the American embassy. We are going public about the exhibition, and several of our main sponsors will be there as well."

I hate those kinds of so-called social receptions – a bunch of old rich people comparing diamonds and dresses. Everyone bragging about their wealth.

"I did bring one dress Carlos, but I didn't expect anything formal to happen while I was here – but never mind, I'll go looking for one, I'm sure Stuart will be more than happy to be my personal shopper." I hate shopping.

"I would love to come along, Claudia said, I need to get a new dress myself. Who is Stuart by the way?" she asked. "He is my husband's PA, and they are coming here tomorrow." 

 "Husband? I didn't know you were married" Claudia looked confused – "so sorry I assumed something was going on with you and Carlos again." she sent me an apologetic glance. 

"It's ok", – I said and left it at that.

In the evening, we sat in Carlos's beautiful terrace, looking out at the park. "Mi Alma," he looks at me and sneaks an arm around me. "What did you and Claudia talk about? You know she's a close friend of mine, and probably the best curator we have."

"We work very well together – I really like her, but I don't want people to think I just got this job because I fuck the director of the Prado museum. To me, this job means a lot – professionally, almost as much as you mean personally," I gave him a big kiss.

"Claudia will never judge you on personal issues, just professionally. She gave me very positive feedback on the work the two of you were doing this afternoon. I just saw she looked surprised when you told her that Mick and Stuart are coming tomorrow." Carlos got up and refilled our wine glasses.

"Tell me about Claudia," I asked."Claudia and I met in university and bonded greatly. She was dating and later married an actor. Unfortunately, the marriage just lasted a few years, so now she's single with a six years old daughter, she will be a good friend for you Alma – that's why I teamed you up."

Thanks, I said – and snuck closer to his big frame.

-------------

Please comment and vote :)