33 The long and winding road

The night was pit dark; only the New York skyline, mama yellow dress, and fireplace fire added contrasts to the scene. There we sat, six adults, content and happy. I had found a new friend – my dad. Strange really, how I had never seen my dad as what he is. I never had understood why mama stayed with him; he always seemed so distant. At the age of 29, I discovered that he was warm, caring, and a man of very dry and witty humor.

"Tell me, Carlos – how did you manage to keep the ice princess, I mean my daughter, waiting for you for so many years?" dad asked.

"Dad, did you just call me an ice princess??"

"Darling, you have always been so nice and proper – so unlike Susannah, so I thought my genes had played in" Dad put his arm around my shoulder and smiled.

"Mi Alma, when you warm up, you're not an ice princess, but you tend to keep things inside. I love you, and I'm happy you waited for me to defrost you again," Carlos laughed.

Wait! Do I come across as cold? I was thinking of the way Kelly had treated me before we bonded – maybe I was part of the problem as well, perhaps I didn't come across the way I wanted to come across. My god, I was getting slightly drunk, and as always, overthinking.

"Mick and Alma – do you mind showing me the contract you made? I trust you both to be intelligent enough to make a good contract, but there are legal loopholes; as Mick so wisely has pointed out earlier today," Dad was the lawyer again, but a more caring dad-lawyer than before.

Mick went downstairs to make a print of the contract.

"Why, dad, why now – we were having such a good time."

"Alma," dad got his glasses out and looked at me. "I don't know if you are aware of what you own – this house is worth at least 20 million in its current state. Yes, there is work that needs to be done here, but if Mick and Stuart upgrade, will they get a share in the house's rise in value, or just their costs back? Alma, I know this is boring lawyer stuff, and the kind of things that makes lawyers rich. I just want you both to get the details right while you are friends. I'm not trying to say that you will ever end up fighting, but you will both secure your rights with a more detailed contract. I will make some comments tomorrow; I just want you both to be happy and have a clean cut the day this living arrangement doesn't work anymore."

Mick and Stuart nodded; I felt a bit stupid for not thinking about details. I guess I just have had everything too easy. I never had to think about money or where to live. Dad was actually preparing me for a life in the real world. We had always been wealthy but never spent money on silly things. I guess I took most material things in life for granted.

"Josh – I just want to know, did Susannah prepare you for this grand jury trial today" Mick sent dad a questioning glance.

"Yes, she did, and I'm glad she did. I had a couple of rounds with myself before we came over, and I was prepared to defend you. I know your dad, Sam, better than most people. I know his ambitions and his drive for money. Having been married to Susannah for more than 30 years, I have developed some other values as well. I knew you needed support this evening. I'm truly sorry that your marriage didn't work out, but look at you, you both have wonderful new partners. Susannah told me that you, Mick, and Stuart want to adopt children – and I tell you if your own parents don't want to be grandparents – Susannah and I will" dad had tears in his eyes.

Mick started crying and went over to dad and gave him a long and warm hug.

Carlos was way down in thoughts. "I have two sons, they have grandparents, but I think they need a set of American grandparents as well. Even if it's Sunday, I got a call today, offering me a two-year professorship at NYU, from January. I haven't told Alma yet, but the boys will be going to school here and not in Switzerland when and if I accept. I invite all of you to my house in Mallorca this summer," Carlos sent me a loving glance.

I started freaking out. Carlos was planning on moving his two sons to my house. I hadn't even met them! I'm not a big fan of children. There again, maybe he was getting a place of his own. Madonna mia – things happen fast. Too fast. Mama saved the situation. She saw the uncertainty on my face.

"That is wonderful, Carlito, let us all see how things work out this summer; Josh and I would really like to come" mama sent me a killing glance – don't fuck up, Alma, this is what you wanted. Now you get it all.

At 3 am, my parents left, and we all retired to our bedrooms. I was dead. This day had been an emotional rollercoaster ride.

AS soon as we got down to our bedroom, I started crying. "Why didn't you tell me about the professorship, Carlos?" My face looked like I just put it under a tap of water; again, I felt overrun by my male chauvinist Spanish lover.

"Mi Alma," he kissed my tears away. "I wanted to tell you, but this day has been too much, and I'm sorry I brought it up in front of everybody. I thought you would be happy that we could be together permanently" He looked insecure.

"But I haven't even met your sons, I have no experience with kids, this is just too overwhelming" I was crying.

"I love you, Alma, and we will make this work. I have told my sons about you – Mariela did as well before she died. They are really looking forward to meeting you, and they are great kids. Remember, Alma, there can be no us without them. I thought you would be happy," Carlos looked hurt.

"I am happy, Carlos, It's just .... I'm scared, I have no experience with children. What if they don't like me, even my dad called me an ice princess?" I started crying again.

"They will love you, Alma, just as we love each other. They are really looking forward to spending the summer with you. Just be your funky self, don't feel insecure" Carlos placed a string of kisses down my neck. I knew they were a part of the package, I was terrified, but I knew I had to make it work if I wanted to spend my life with Carlos.