29 Preparations

When I entered work Tuesday morning, I was in a great mood. I hoped my attempt at matchmaking would work out. I grabbed my coffee and went down to Liz's office to involve her in the plan.

"Good morning Liz" I greeted her joyously.

"Hi," she greeted back – without a smile.

"Hey, Liz, what's up? You look upset this morning" I looked at her quizzically.

Liz took a sip of her coffee and shook her head.

"It's Kelly. She had a big row with Francis last night, and he threatened to fire her if she didn't straighten up her act. She came to my home last evening – all tears. I don't know how to handle this Alma, I know you got upset about what she said to you, but she has taken the day off work to think things over. She loves her work here at the Met, but now she is scared that she will get fired -I know the two of you don't get along that well, but you need to help out on this issue. You know she's like a little sister to me. Francis was furious about how she had talked to you, and she thinks he favors you over her, just because he and you are both from another class background. I have never seen that girl so depressed," Liz looked worried.

I was thinking for a moment, gave Liz a bearhug, and told her about he plan Mick, Stuart, and I had come up with. Project; "finding a good and wealthy boyfriend for Kelly."

Liz was laughing for the first time that morning 

"I think that is an excellent idea – really, but You have to talk to Francis, and he has to smooth things out with her. He was seriously furious. I have hardly heard that man raise his voice. Still, yesterday he was screaming at Kelly and said a few nasty things to her, telling her that the only reason she still had a job was that she was excellent at it. Still, her personality was getting so annoying that he seriously considered firing her if she didn't clean up her act, and that his trust in her was low after what she had done to you. He even called her unprofessional, the way she had eyed down Carlos Alvarez when he was here. She was crying and felt  that everything here at theMet revolved around you. I know it is not intentional from your side, but she felt like she was being pushed back to our humble Pittsburg suburb. It was not a pretty sight Alma." Liz was very serious again.

I just shook my head but had in mind what Stuart had said last night as well, that I easily came across as a snob, at the top of the food chain. I knew I was the only one who could talk to Francis about this – I genuinely wish I had just ignored Kelly's harsh remarks yesterday, and not run to Francis and told. How could I have been so stupid! Blame it on Jetlag, I came home from three weeks in a timezone +6 hours  just theday before.  When she apporached me, I was just so mad about what she said, maybe because she told the truth – part of my reason for going to Madrid was to be with Carlos, and she had seen right through it.

"I'll go and speak to Francis right away and suggest that we all go out Friday evening – as soon as I get the confirmation from Mick or Stuart that Steve Grant wants to come." I hugged Liz and walked down the hall to Francis's office.

Liz looked relieved. I know Kelly means the world to her, and I did not want Kelly to lose her job over me. I just wanted a better work environment; I hadn't thought of the consequences of telling Francis. Typical me, just thinking of my wellbeing, not caring about the consequences for others.

Francis was sitting at his desk with a dark expression on his face when I entered.

"Francis; I heard about you hitting big time on Kelly last night – why did you do that? Why didn't you speak with me first – I'm the one who was offended, not you. I never asked you to yell at her – it's so unlike you, Francis, why did you do it? The girl is devastated," I fumed.