30 The Barbeque

Carlos was supposed to arrive late Thursday night,  but his flight was six hours delayed due to technical problems. He sneaked into my bedroom at 7 am; I was in the shower when he joined me there.

"Carlos – why didn't you call? We could have picked you up at JFK – and how did you get into the house?"

"Mi Alma, you gave me the code to the lock last time I was here, remember?" He dipped in and kissed me passionately. I took the body wash and started massaging his body; he is so fucking gorgeous – soft skin, toned muscles, olive complexion. 6'3 of pure delight. He lifted me up the shower wall, and I straddled him. He entered me, and we both came off pretty fast – my god, how I had missed him – every part of him. 

He looked at me with an apologetic glance, "We have less than half an hour before I need to go, Alma, my meeting is at 8:30, and I desperately need some coffee before I go." Not the romantic reunion I had hoped for, but I knew we had a whole weekend to make up for it.

I buried my face in his neck – "I have missed you so much, Carlos."

"You're not the only one counting hours, Alma – I love you more than anything. Will you come to Mallorca with the boys and me in July? I have told them about you and sent them pictures – they are eager to meet you."

This is scary as hell, meeting his sons – will they compare me to their mam?

"Yes, of course, I will come Carlos – let us talk about it later, we need to get dressed, get some coffee and get you off to your meeting – when will you be back?"

"Before noon – and thanks, Mi Alma" he gave me a big passionate kiss. 

Mama had decided to come over and help out preparing the barbeque. Rosa had already been out shopping for everything we needed, so we started making the marinade for the beef and the lamb ribs.

"Mama -will you stay for the barbeque?"

Mama was working on a dough for the challah-bread.

"Alma, I don't know yet – since you are inviting one of the young lawyers from the office over, I don't know how smart it is, considering the bloodbath on Sunday." She looked a little worried.

I had told her about Mick leaving the law firm, and the divorce and the fact that Mick and Stuart would go on living in my house. For some odd reason, she seemed to be happy about the arrangements. I knew I needed her on our side on Sunday.

"Mama what do you think we should serve for dinner on Sunday? I was thinking a salmon pate, and duck a'lorange, since the Goldbergs clam to be kosher.

"Alma," mama sent me a dark glance. "You don't run a kosher kitchen; even if we are Jewish, you are not brought up in a kosher household – so why bother? – It's all just hypocrisy anyhow. Haven't you seen how the Goldbergs enjoy their lobster ortheir scampi sushi? I once asked Alice about it, and she explained that they made an exception for lobster because it tasted so good. Your menu seems fine, are you ordering or will Rosa make it?" Mama knows my cooking is disastrous.

"I will make it together with Rosa" Carlos just entered the kitchen and kissed mama on each cheek.

"Carlos, are you here, what a pleasant surprise," mama grinned.

Even if things are smooth between them now, I know the three of us have to sit down pretty soon and have a serious talk about things that have happened over the last eight years. Mama has gone through a massive transformation over the past two months after the truth about her family history, and the history of Sachs&Goldberg was revealed to me.