28 The Plan

I was totally spent. First day back at work was busy, and my not so friendly encounters with Kelly didn't make it any easier. Did I come across as a snob? My mama always brought me up to be pretty down to earth. I never liked snobbish people, and now I get accused at work for being one myself. I know that my background is privileged, but I'm not aware of ever trying to show it off in any way. I needed to think. I changed into my running gear, grabbed a bottle of water from the fridge, and took the dogs for a run in the park. Running usually cleared my head. I needed to speak with someone – is my picture of myself so different from how others see me?

"Baby doll," Stuart called from the kitchen as I came home. "How was your first day back at the Met?"

"Except for being bullied by Kelly – things were fine," I said with a sigh.

"Spill," Mick entered the kitchen, and I told them about the encounter by the coffee machine, me talking with Francis, and Kelly's visit to my office – and the explanations I got talking to Liz.

"This has to stop. Kelly is after me all the time; I can't work when someone is that hostile, so I hope Liz taking her out for dinner might loosen up this toxic situation. I also told Francis about Carlos and me and that I was willing to step down from the exhibition. He seemed to be fine with everything, and insisted I stayed on the work with the exhibition; he saw no conflict of interests."

"That is good," Mick seemed relieved, and he continued, "I invited all our parents over for Sunday dinner, and they accepted – or at least our dads did. Your mama accepted when she was here yesterday".

"We need to discuss the divorce terms – Do you guys want to go on living here with me? The house is big enough for all of us, and I would hate to live here alone." I looked at both of them.

"How would your parents react?" Mick sent me a quizzical glance.

"Considering the fact that I own the house, and everything that comes with it – I don't think they can say anything. We will have to make a formal lease contract, and you pay the same costs as you do today, like the property tax, some of the maintenance and half of Rosas salary – why don't you draw up a contract Mick – use that law degree of yours, and we will go through the terms." 

I looked at my two best friends. It would kill my heart if they decided to move out. I love those two men, and living alone in an eight-bedroom house was not a prospect I would look forward to. I had never lived alone. Before Mick and Stuart moved in, I lived with my grandma, and before that, I lived in my parent's apartment – Living alone was not an option. Carlos would be going back and forth, and there was plenty of room for him when he comes to stay in New York, his sons could even have a room each if they ever decided to come along.

"I would love to stay officially; then I could sell my Chelsea apartment and pay for my last year at Yale," Stuart said.

"I'll draw up something Alma, your offer is more than generous, but I want a time clause in, let's say it has to be renewed once a year with a three-month notice – We don't know what will happen nor how things will work out if Carlos and his boys move here" Mick put on his lawyer face.

"True," I said and added, "We also need to have split custody for the dogs. And when you go back to Yale Stuart you need somewhere to live in New Haven, have you ever considered to transfer to Columbia University, so you can live at home?"

"I haven't thought about that, but it might actually be a good idea, the tuition will be more or less the same, but I can live here. Yeah, I'll give it a shot. A lot of problems will be solved if they accept me." Stuart looked happy when he served us a great spaghetti bolognese.

"Guys, I have to ask you a question regarding my work experiences today" I look at both of them."Do I come across as a snob? That seems to be Kelly's main problem with me".Mick shakes his head – "a snob, you? You are the least snobbish person I know considering your background".

Stuart stays quiet for a short while; "I can see why Kelly says that" We both look at Stuart.

"Alma, you are not a snob, but you can easily come across as one, merely because you are who you are. You never had to think about the cost of things, and you take a lot of things for granted that people from a less privileged background can only dream of. I'm from an average middle-class background and was a bit scared the first time I met you, not that you are intimidating in any way, but a girl under 30 owning a townhouse on Upper Eastside – do you have any idea what this house would sell for if you should sell it? You are very rich, Alma, and you represent everything a social climber like Kelly or me would dream of. Your clothes are bland and conservative, but they all come with a pretty high price tag. Your blazer and pants probably cost more than Kelly's entire wardrobe. Your entire being screams success and money. When she tries to upscale her appearance, it will never compare to you, mainly because she can't afford it. It doesn't matter that you never go to those social functions or receptions for the rich and famous, just the mere fact that you are invited puts you in a league of your own. To a certain extent, I can understand Kelly's point of view, but I do not excuse her behavior towards you. But you have to understand that for many you are the unreachable star".

Mick and I look at one another. I never saw myself that way, and neither did he. "Thanks, Stuart I guess I have a bit of learning to do. But how should I go around it?"

Stuart blinked "I don't think you can baby doll. I don't think you will ever get a girl like Kelly to like you; you have to work on working together. Or we have to find a man for Kelly that matches her ambitions, from what I remember she's a pretty good looking girl. Too bad I don't know many straight available men in their early thirties."

Seriously! I never imagined Stuart would play the part of Matchmaker.

"What about Steve Graham at the office?" Mick broke in. "Steve would be perfect," Stuart said with a smile.

"Okay, I'll talk with Liz in the morning, and maybe we can make a plan to introduce them when Liz takes her out? Let's find a wine bar that also serves food, and we show up there – or even better maybe I'll get Francis to invite the entire staff out. The three of you show up, and since Mick officially still is my husband, it's just natural that you guys join our table" I was happy with my cleverness. This might work. I had seen a couple of the guys Kelly had been dating, and Steve is eye-candy, a single and successful lawyer - just up her ally.