21 Intermezzo

As soon as I had waved goodbye to Francis and Brett, I went up to my room and packed my stuff, Carlos would be here shortly to pick me up, and take me home.

As soon as we got back home, his hands were all over me – "Alma, I miss you every moment we are not together," he mumbled into my neck.

I started thinking – I'm leaving in a week, what will become of us then? Can we stand a long distance semi-secret relationship?

"Carlos, what will become of us when I go back to New York next weekend?" Booom! I had said it.

"Alma," he looked at me with a grin. "I'll kidnap you and lock you up here – forever. "His hands kept moving around my torso. "Let's enjoy each other now and talk later," he said softly, but I saw a worried look in his eyes. We had not spoken of the future; we had lived in our own little bubble for two weeks, pretending the day I had to leave would never come. We didn't bother about unpacking the suitcase – we just fell on the bed and ripped each other's clothes off. Is there a better way to spend a lazy Sunday afternoon?

"Carlos, if you are going to kidnap me – does that mean you would tie me to your bed?" 

He sent me a wolfish grin, "You would like that – wouldn't you?"

"Well," I said, "being a free independent woman cursed with a pushy, Latin male chauvinist lover – The thought has hit my mind" I looked innocently at him. 

He went over to his closet, found a tie, and shook his head. "Have you read too much "50 shades of Gray" Alma? I'm not into kinky stuff; I never tried much of it, but from what I hear, many women have wet dreams about being dominated. For some reason, I didn't think you were one of them". I laughed at him – "me neither, you are actually the only real love I ever had. So let's go on with our sweet lovemaking; you more than fulfill my expectations the way it is, When we're old and fat and bored - let's look into it." I trained kisses down his torso.

"I'm the naked chef!" He proclaimed a few hours later. I walked into the kitchen, and there he was cooking dinner – only dressed in what mother nature blessed him with....Good God! I never knew cooking could be that sexy.

After dinner we sat down and talked about us, we had six days left before I had to go back to New York.

"Carlos, what do you feel after two weeks together – make it or break it?"

"You will leave me with a broken heart if you say break it, Alma," He said quietly.

 "Carlos, I don't want to break it, not for one single moment – be 100% sure of that, I'm just trying to figure out how we will go on. There is a huge ocean between us, and a seven-hour flight. You have your job here; I have mine at the Met. I have to stay in New York, at least till we have pulled off this exhibition. I also have other commitments in New York, my two dogs, and mama – just to mention some" I felt tears running down my face.

"Carlos, you are the love of my life, I'm just trying to find a way this beautiful relationship can survive. I haven't had anyone for more than a couple of hookups since you left me six years ago – not because I have lacked men more than willing to jump into my bed, but because I love you."

"We will make it work; I have many good excuses to come regularly to New York until the exhibition is up in November. After that, you can move here and work at the Prado – if you want to", he sent me a begging look.

"Mick told me he would let me go if we were serious about this relationship. I have decided that we should file for divorce when I get back to New York – Do you think that will make things easier?"

Carlos lifted me bridal style and carried me into the bedroom "Yes, mi Alma, YES!" Then he started singing – totally out of tune – the Papageno aria from "The Magic Flute" first we make a little Papageno, then a little Papagena....we rolled onto the bed in hysterical laughter.