𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐄𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓

𝐓𝐇𝐀𝐓 𝐅𝐀𝐓𝐄𝐃 𝐍𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓 𝐀𝐓 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐁𝐀𝐋𝐋, bursts of color lit up the night sky

𝐓𝐇𝐀𝐓 𝐅𝐀𝐓𝐄𝐃 𝐍𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓 𝐀𝐓 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐁𝐀𝐋𝐋, bursts of color lit up the night sky. Bea admired the fireworks as they went off, trying to distract herself from the knot of nerves growing. Along with nerves, excitement coursed in her veins at the idea of seeing Kit tonight. The daydream she once imagined behind her eyelids, the dream that lay rest in her heart, was finally coming true.

Kit stood by his father with a placid expression held on his face, observing the new arrivals only to keep up his facade of interest. Though he was only itching to see one particular face. He tried to hide his disappointment again when another man walked through the door.

"Who are you looking for?" The King whispered, his voice melting away Kit's restrained exterior. Kit kept his gaze on the people entering so his father wouldn't see behind the lie. His eyes were like an open book, his father always said.

"No one." Kit said, pretending to take interest in the talk that went on in the mass crowds.

But his father saw right through him. He saw the way Kit smiled, and the way his eyes went from the crowd to the door, as if waiting for someone. He saw his frustration, the little twitch in his eyes. Those things a father noticed.

"It's that girl from the square, isn't it? That's why you were so generous with the invitations." 

"Father, it was for the people." Kit insisted, unleashing a innocent expression onto his father. The king was not convinced.

"I know you love the people here, but I also know that your head's been turned. You only met her once, in the town square." The King added, narrowing his eyes at his son.

Kit let out a small, amused sigh, looking down. Part of him knew that his father was right, but he couldn't help but think about her. 

"And you'd rather have me marry someone I met once, tonight." Kit insisted, focusing his gaze back on the entrance, waiting and hoping for the mystery girl to burst through the door at any moment. 

"It's a princess or nothing." The King urged. Kit bit the inside of his cheek to keep himself from arguing more. It was no use.

There was so much more to the girl, her selfless kindness, her choice of words, and how mature she seemed for her age. And the King couldn't see it, not yet.

Bea peeked her head out the window, taking in every detail. She could hear the chorus of voices, and the click of the horse's hooves against the pavement, along with their neighs of protest. 

Outside, carriages flew by. They drove around a beautiful fountain, gold statues lifted up above the water. Bea smiled in delight, knowing she had reached the palace, and Kit.