𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐄𝐋𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍

DING DONG! It was the sound of the bells ringing that brought Bea's attention away from Kit, reality forced upon her

DING DONG! It was the sound of the bells ringing that brought Bea's attention away from Kit, reality forced upon her. It meant that midnight was about to come. That the dream had to come to an end. That she would be back to who she truly was.

An impostor, a fraud, a girl who was just a servant. Suddenly the idea of revealing herself didn't seem like such a good idea.

"I have to go." Bea knew she would have to leave, sooner or later. Better to leave as a mystery princess, not as the servant girl she'd soon return to be. So she would leave now, as the mystery princess. Better then a servant girl who had faked her status.

She could get over him, move on, watch him marry someone else. But the thought of the journey she could go on with him excited her, she almost longed for it.

"I can't explain why, but it's truly magical." Bea said, hoping Kit would take some part of her words literally.

He was staring back at her with those dashing blue eyes, filled with confusion and slight panic. Perhaps there was some longing, but Bea convinced herself it wouldn't be there. Makes it easier for the both of them.

"Lizards...pumpkins...carriage!" Bea unfurled her mind from its heaping mess of panic, blurting out the things in her head.

The carriage! She had to get back to the carriage.She abruptly got up from the swing, leaving poor Kit in a confused daze, gathering her snowy dress in the clutches of her hands and hurrying towards the exit of the secret garden.

It all came down to this moment, the dream she had lived could become a nightmare so quickly.

Stepping out of the garden, she was conflicted. Her heart was racing, the pounding faster than the chime of the bells signaling that midnight was about to come.

"Wait!" Kit's voice called out behind her, stopping her in her tracks. She turned around, keeping her eyes lowered towards the ground in shame.

"It was a wonderful night Kit, and I'm not leaving because of you. It's me. I'd rather you remember this night with me like this, not who I truly am. " Bea let out a breathy sigh.

"I don't understand." Kit said, his eyes filled with confusion.

"Goodbye Kit. Thank you for everything."

Bea ran. She could hear Kit's voice calling out behind her, muffled by the sound of the bells chiming out and her loud beating heart.

There was an ounce of joy still there. She had this wonderful experience not shared by many. It was the best thing she could have ever experienced, and she was happy to share it with Kit.

"Who she truly is...?" Kit's eyebrows furrowed in frustration. What did the mystery girl mean when she said he would be disappointed by who she truly was? Kit sat down on the swing, letting out a scoff.