𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐋𝐕𝐄

"CAPTAIN, my horse

"CAPTAIN, my horse." Kit stood on the staircase, watching the golden carriage ride off. The Grand Duke and Captain took their places beside him.

"No, this may be some trick to lure you from the palace. Your father needs you here." The Grand Duke said. Kit tried to hide his disappointment, but the Captain saw the little frown he had as he watched the Grand Duke walk off.

"Captain!" The Grand Duke called, but the Captain lingered.

"I was having a fine old time, and you had to go and choose that one, didn't you?" The Captain said, sarcasm in his voice, before following the Grand Duke.

Kit smiled to himself, watching the golden carriage grow smaller and smaller.

"Yes, I did."

Bea sighed, resting her head on the carriage wall, two glass slippers in her grasp. The silence was broken by the rumble of the carriage wheels running over the ground, but yet it was still miserable.

The two glass slippers did anything but reassure her. It was a pointless souvenir now. And Bea regretted not leaving one for Kit.

But maybe he should forget her. Would that be what was best? Bea closed her eyes, listening to her beating heart and soaking in her memories with Kit.

However, the silence was interrupted. There was a stampede of hooves behind her. And then the twelve chimes of midnight started.

Bea gasped, poking her head out the window to see an army of men on horses pursuing her, Grand Duke leading. The white horses whined in protest, and Bea turned her head towards the front.

"Please hurry! We haven't got much time Mr. Goose!" Bea pleaded, the wind whipping her hair back.

In return, Mr. Goose whipped the rains, shouting at the horses. They whined in protest, the sound of hooves quicker against the damp earth. They had to escape as quickly as possible. The second toll warning that midnight was about to come rang out, and so quickly came the third.

The carriage neared a cliff, the ocean slamming against the rocks. The horses raced with all their might, yet the army of men never got smaller.

Bea had her head out the window, watching them. It made her nauseous of what would happen if they caught her. An army of soldiers to see the mystery princess had been a servant all along.

Bea closed her eyes, hoping a breathe of fresh air would help her. Then they neared the cliff, and the carriage tipped slightly.

Bea slammed into the carriage doors, her eyes snapping open to see the carriage hanging over the ocean. A yelp escaped her lips. The water sprouted as it slammed against the rocks. Bea wondered if that was what awaited her.

The carriage tipped back. Bea was thrown back into the carriage, back on the yellow velvet seat, gasping. The fourth toll of midnight rang out.

As they neared the clock tower, time became quicker than ever. The fifth strike of midnight rang out, followed quickly by the sixth and the seventh. Bea gasped for air, the carriage seemingly smaller.