𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐅𝐎𝐔𝐑𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍

𝐁𝐄𝐀 𝐑𝐀𝐍 𝐒𝐓𝐑𝐀𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓 to the palace

𝐁𝐄𝐀 𝐑𝐀𝐍 𝐒𝐓𝐑𝐀𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓 to the palace. The guards looked at the servant in confusion, but she passed them with a a bewildered smile on her face. Kit loved her. That's all she could think about. The second ball was to be held, and Bea got dressed up in her mother's dress. It would now be embarking on the journey, after it failed the first time.

Bea made her way to the ball, a bounce in her step.

Upon her way there, there were some negative thoughts too. One that almost diminished the flame of her happiness. Maybe she should move on. He could marry someone better, an actual princess. What good was a servant girl turned queen.

She had nothing compared to the princesses from far away lands. But should she really move on, if she could even bear to do it? Was that what was best for Kit?

But part of her protested now. And she realized just then, she loved him. She loved him and couldn't let him go. She couldn't ignore and push away what he felt. He made her happy, he loved her too. That was enough for her to stay.

Her thoughts were interrupted by a special someone, as she almost bounded into them. Valina...

But Valina was standing there with a smile on her face, though Bea doubted it was genuine.

"Bea, care to go for a walk with me?" Her tone wasn't harsh. Odd.

Bea raised her eyebrows, looking at Valina with confusion. Since when was she so nice.

Valina's smile faded, and Bea hurried to correct herself. Maybe Valina had changed. She wouldn't want to hurt her feelings.

"Sure." Bea said with a small smile, shrugging.

Valina and Bea walked side by side, out into the palace gardens.

A fountain was in the middle. Statues had water sprouting out of their mouths, into the fountain. It was the one of the landmarks that Bea rode past on a carriage, to the ball.

Valina gestured for Bea to sit down. It gave off the feeling of a parent scolding their child. But Bea sat down anyways, scared for whatever awaited her.

It was silent for a moment. Bea waited, not daring to speak. The fear began to fade. Maybe Valina had become a good person, and was opening up.

Yet that opinion changed when Valina's face contorted into a smile, the evil one Bea dreaded. A victorious glint shone in her eye, and her posture reflected pride. Bea's face turned into a glare, one of dread and a bit of fear.

"See Bea, life isn't fair, is it?" Valina gritted through her teeth. "The Prince just had to fall for you, of all people you! A wretched servant girl, who is nothing. Nothing." The words stung. Valina tone was angry, furious.

"What do you mean?" Bea gulped, looking down to the ground to avoid Valina's glare. She felt helpless, defenseless against her. She wanted to rise, to stand up to Valina. Yet she couldn't risk it.

"Oh you know exactly what I mean, mystery princess!" Valina yelled, laughing bitterly at the end.

This was the nightmare she had feared, and now the one she lived. 

"How did you know?" Bea's tone was mellow, afraid to push Valina over the edge. Because if she snapped. It would mean death for Bea, not literally. It would be an absolute nightmare. Her heart was beating faster.

"How did I know? Well, I found these." Then Valina pulled out two glass slippers. The pair Bea, the mystery princess, had worn along her adventure with Kit. Valina stared at them with greed in her eyes, giving Bea a wicked smile.

And the world came crashing down for Bea. Valina had the slippers, the magic that Kit had shared. She had the looks, and she had a plan.

"No!" Bea cried. Valina's smile widened.

"You see, now no one will believe you. Who would believe a poor, servant girl anyways?" The words struck fear into Bea, freezing her in place. Valina turned, skipping towards the palace. She could hear Valina's laughs echoing in her mind, ones that haunted her.

"No.." Bea gasped, sinking down to her knees beside the fountain.

Kit waited for the mystery princess to enter through the doors, and suppressed his disappointment every time someone else did. She was the only thing he had left. The only person he could rely on and trust, she was the girl he loved. Wasn't that good enough? Or maybe she didn't feel the same way. Still, he had to see her again. He would find a way.

The Grand Duke stood with a satisfied smile on his face. Kit looked away, frowning, towards the Captain. He gave Kit a small, reassuring smile, before his face went serious again.

It was odd. Sitting his father's chair, spectating the ball, instead of him. The soft, red, velvet cushion of the chair felt anything but comfortable at this moment. Kit's eyes remained locked on the door, waiting for the mystery princess to arrive. But time passed and she still hadn't showed.

"Perhaps the girl is gone." The Grand Duke said besides Kit, an all too innocent expression on his face. That couldn't be it. She wouldn't just be gone. There had to be a reason.

"There must be a reason. For all we know, she could be prevented from speaking." Kit protested. But he was starting to wonder.

What if she was? Then he wouldn't be able to find her. He might even be making up excuses. Did the girl disappear, or was there another reason? Did she not love him?

The Captain noticed the change in his expression. "Do not lose heart yet." He said to Kit, pity on his features. The Captain clearly had hope. While Kit's hope was fading. The girl wouldn't arrive.

"On the contrary, lose heart and gain wisdom." The Grand Duke interrupted. "The people need to know that the kingdom is secure, that the king has a queen and that the land may  have an heir. They want to face the future with certainty!"

"Agreed, then let us be certain! I am king. I say we shall seek out the mystery princess, even if she does not want to be found. I have to see her again." Kit said, his tone firm. Part of him did fear that she did not want to see him again. But that couldn't be the reason, right?

"But if she's not found, then for the good of the kingdom, you must marry Princess Chelina. For the good of the kingdom." Kit knew that the Grand Duke had a point, but he had a feeling that the Grand Duke was just trying to rule the kingdom through him. He thought about it for a moment.

"Very well. Agreed." Kit glared with determination at the Grand Duke.

And now he had placed his fate into the hands of the mystery girl. If she didn't show, he would be married off to someone else. Someone who he didn't love like he loved her.

"But, your highness?" The Captain said, looking at him with worry. He gave up quickly as he saw Kit's determined look.

The mystery princess would come. Or at least Kit hoped she would.

Bea sat at the fountain, wrapping her arms around her torso to bring some reassurance. None came. All of it was over with Kit.

She let a tear fall. Valina had won. She got everything, the good looks and now Kit.

But there was one thing she couldn't take away, Bea goodness, her determination, her strength. She could make her weak, yes, but Bea still had those qualities and she would find a way.

A white cat came into view, brushing itself against her legs.

It looked exactly like the one at the marketplace, only it was the same. Bea ran her hand along it's fur, brushing away the tears left on her hand. The cat ran behind her, out of view from Bea.

Bea laughed through her tears. She already scared people off, now animals?

"Hello Bea."