𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐅𝐈𝐅𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍

𝐒𝐇𝐄 𝐊𝐍𝐄𝐖 that voice

𝐒𝐇𝐄 𝐊𝐍𝐄𝐖 that voice. It was one she couldn't miss. Their tone was soft and sincere. It cut through the chilly air that gave Bea goosebumps, a new sense of warmth filling her.

She quickly got up and turned to face them, a small, astonished smile on her lips.

There stood Fairy Godmother, with a caring smile on her face. It warmed Bea's heart, and before she knew it, she threw her arms around Fairy Godmother.

"Thank you." She muttered through tears. Fairy Godmother seemed puzzled but returned the gesture.

"Your welcome." Fairy Godmother whispered cheerfully, though confusion was clear in her tone. Bea could see her smiling her twinkly, warm smile.

"Chop chop." Fairy Godmother pulled away from the hug, back to her bouncy, cheerful self. "We haven't got much time. And I couldn't just see my hard work go to waste with the cat and all." Fairy Godmother muttered. Bea laughed, but then stopped.

"The cat?"

"Yes. I was the white cat in the road. I would think you would figure this out." Fairy Godmother scoffed, seemingly annoyed, but a smile was on her lips. Bea raised her eyebrows. She couldn't see Fairy Godmother as a...cat?

"You were the cat?" Bea shouted, a late response. Fairy Godmother seemed puzzled at her confusion.

"Why yes? I had to get you and Kit to meet somehow. I just used your goodness, easy peasy." Fairy Godmother scoffed, muttering unintelligible things after. Bea's mouth hung open.

Fairy Godmother was the reason she met Kit. If she hadn't been there, what other circumstance would she have met Kit in? Wow. She was the reason they were in this situation after all.

"Thank you." Bea said, seriously this time. "If it wasn't for you, I wouldn't have met Kit." Fairy Godmother smiled, and Bea did too.

"Thank me by actually seeing Kit again. We can't have Valina ruining it." Fairy Godmother frowned. Fairy Godmother had watched over her all her life, giving nothing in return.

She gave Bea magic and love. The least Bea could do was thank her. So Bea took a step back, preparing herself. She would see Kit again. It was her last chance. She wouldn't let the kingdom be ruled by Valina. Fairy Godmother extended her wand towards Bea.

"Wait." Bea said.

"While I appreciate everything you've done for me, I think I can go without magic for this one." Bea softly smiled.

"That's my girl. Now shoo, hurry, you mustn't be late. We're all rooting for you." Mr. Goose, Mr. Lizard, Sir Lizard, and the three mice appeared behind Fairy Godmother, looking up at Bea. Bea waved and smiled.

The only thing that was missing was glass slippers, which were currently in Valina's grasp. But Bea wanted to retrieve them herself, as they were the only true souvenir of her first night.

"Are you sure you don't want the shoes, it may be useful?" Fairy Godmother blurted out, gesturing towards Bea's shoes. Bea stopped and turned around to face her.

They were the same brown flats that were a little too small, covered in dirt. They were the same ones Bea had worn on the night of the first ball.

"All that matters is that I see Kit. I know what I have to do." Bea said. Fairy Godmother smiled slightly.

But Bea didn't go forward. She stopped, taking a pause.

"I'm scared, Fairy Godmother." Bea finally said. She wasn't as brave as she knew she had to be. She wasn't even sure she could face Valina again.

There was one hour before midnight, barely enough time. Part of her knew that she couldn't make it out without the same dress. But she had to try. She couldn't let the kingdom be ruled over by Valina.

Fairy Godmother smiled warmly. "Since the moment you were born, you were the bravest girl I had known. Since the time you stuck up for Cynthia while Valina was ridiculing her, when no others would. To the time you rescued me, as a cat." They both shared a laugh.

"You are brave Bea. And more than that. You are kind, strong, daring. Most importantly, you are good. And where theres goodness, theres magic." Bea choked up as Fairy Godmother quoted her mother. Fairy Godmother smiled with pride at Bea, small tears in her eyes. She quickly wiped them away.

"Be brave, Bea. Be good, as you always have been."

Bea turned towards the palace, taking a deep breath.

"Thank you Fairy Godmother." She said. Then she took off running, towards the palace with nothing but her good spirit, her mother's dress, and caring people by her side.

This is perhaps the greatest risk any of us would take. To be seen as we truly are.