Eight

Senoia, Ga.

            Gavin groaned and rolled over on the couch. Then he sighed and sat up. It took him a minute to remember where he was. When he did, he slouched over on the couch and ran his hands through his short dirty-blond hair. Looking out the window, he saw that it was dawn; the sun was beginning to set. Gavin remembered the events of that day. The chaos, the noise, Isaac, shooting that woman...
          He took a deep breath and tried to hold back the tears. It didn't really work. He sat there, crying into his hands until he felt like he couldn't cry any more.
          He thought back to his parents. Could they still be alive? Of course, they had to be. They were still in Columbus; maybe it wasn't as bad there. It? What was it anyway?
          "What's going on?" he asked, knowing that there was no one to answer. He sat for a long time, staring into space, until finally he was pulled from his trance by a distant sound, growing louder every
second. Picking up his rifle, he walked to the front door, unlocked the door, and stepped outside. He could hear the sound more clearly now. It sounded like a helicopter.
          Gavin ran out and started waving his arms and shouting. "Hey I'm down here! Help!" Someone must have seen him, because the helicopter was lowering itself to the ground. Gavin ran out to the field where they seemed to be planning on landing. He waited patiently as it touched down on the and the rotors slowed to a stop. When they had almost completely stopped, he ran closer to get a better look at it. It was a news helicopter. That was the first thing he noticed. The second was that something was wrong. Something was very wrong.
          It was getting dark now, and Gavin could barely make out the people as they all climbed out of the helicopter. He counted three people. Two of them looked to be carrying the third. When they saw Gavin they froze, and one of them quickly pulled out a pistol, leaving the injured one to the other person. Gavin stopped and held up his hands.
          "It's okay! I'm not like them, I'm okay." It seemed like hours had passed before the man holding the gun put it back in its holster.
           "Come help us with this." he said. Gavin ran up and held the body by its middle so it didn't droop. He noticed that the body was a woman's. She wasn't dead, but her breathing was shallow and she was bleeding from somewhere on her side. Finally the two men set her down in a somewhat clear spot in the field and Gavin helped lower her down.
          "What happened?" he asked, looking at her blood-stained shirt.
          "She was bitten." One of the men said in a voice that told Gavin he was still surprised by it.
          "Where did it happen?"
          The second man, who Gavin guessed was Mexican, or possibly Spanish, by his voice, answered, "We were casting in Atlanta, and this crazy bastard just ran up and he bit her. We got her into the chopper, but the rest of the crew weren't as lucky as us. At least our pilot survived." He nodded at the first man,  then suddenly looked over at Gavin. "Do you have any bandages, antibiotics, anything to help her?"
          "I-I don't know, I don't actually live here..." The second man stood up.
          "Let's get her over there, then we'll look around." Gavin nodded and helped the two carry her into the house and set her down on the couch he'd been sleeping on just minutes before.
          "Dan, you stay here with her, we'll look around." The second man motioned to Gavin and walked out of the room. "I'm Martine, by the way."
          "Oh, uh, I'm Gavin." He said quickly.
          "Right, Gavin, take these out to Dan." Martine said once they reached the bathroom and handed Gavin a pile of towels. "I'll see if I can find any antibiotics, or something close to that at least." Gavin just nodded and ran back to the living room.

       "Wait, what's going on?"

       "I'll explain later!"

          Dan looked up and sighed with relief when he saw Gavin come in with the towels. "Thanks, kid. She's bleeding bad." As Gavin helped apply pressure to the bite with a towel, he saw how bad it really was. There was a chunk taken out of the woman's side, and he was surprised that she hadn't bled out already. Her breathing was ragged, though, and he wasn't sure how much longer she'd hold up. He felt bad about thinking it, but he knew she couldn't survive. Just then, Martine walked in. Dan looked up at him hopefully, but Gavin stopped himself when he felt the woman tense up under his hands where he was applying the towel. That was weird...
          "So I found some painkillers and peroxide, but that's it." Martine said, holding up the bottles.
          "That should be okay for now-" Dan was cut short by the woman, practically crippled a moment before, as she leaped at him and shoved him onto the ground. No one had a chance to react before she sank her teeth into Dan's throat. He started to scream, but it turned into a gurgling sound as a river of blood flowed out. Martine was frozen in place, but Gavin was able to pull himself away from the sight. He grabbed for his rifle, which he'd set outside the door, and shot the woman through the head. She collapsed on the ground next to Dan. Gavin and Martine ran forward at the same time and bent over Dan. He had a hand held up to his bleeding neck, and his body seemed to be twitching uncontrollably as he fought for breath. His eyes stared straight up, a look of fear and pain plastered on his face. Martine was crying and talking softly to Dan.
          "It's okay. You'll be alright, buddy. Just take it easy." Then his body tensed up, and Gavin stood and aimed the gun again.  Martine stood in front of him and pushed the barrel of the gun away.
          "What the hell are you doing?" He yelled.
          "He's going to change!" Gavin replied. As if on cue, Dan growled and scrambled to his feet, only to be shot back down. He watched as Martine cried over his friends, then walked out onto the porch. He wasn't going to stand there and try to comfort him. The least he could do now was give him some space.