Fifty-Seven

Paige told Jared about going out to find Cora and to pack supplies. After a couple hours of packing, saying goodbyes, and deciding where exactly they'd go, they were ready. They met by the door, like the
teams always did before going out. Then, with a final goodbye, they left. They took a jeep; they'd found a second one that still worked on the way back.
   Gavin drove first, with Paige in the passenger's seat. She had a pistol at her hip and a rifle sitting at her feet on the floor. On her lap lay the compound bow, along with the quiver full of arrows. Everyone else, aside from the driver, had their rifles in their hands. They were ready for anything.
   They looked over the storage unit area again, to see if they could find anything they'd missed the first time. Paige was the only one to notice one of the open units. A lot were open, but this one was piled with bodies at the door. Actually dead corpses. They lay around the door, most of them sprawled on the ground where they were half in the unit and half out.
   "Hey guys!" She called out. The boys came running over. "Look at this."
   "Dead zombies." Jared said. "There's something new." Paige glared at him.
   "Look how they're laid out." She explained. "The others are scattered around, 'cause they were try to get to you guys, right?"
   "Yeah." Gavin said.
   "These ones are all bunched up around this one unit. Who was in this area when they attacked?"
   "I think it was Joe, and..."
   "Cora." Jared finished, catching on. "She was trapped in here. Looks like she made it out, though. Just not fast enough." Paige nodded, looking down at the zombies. She followed the bodies from the ones laying on the floor inside to the few on the gravel outside. It was a thin layering of gravel; she could see the dirt underneath. And, she realized, there were spots where it looked like the gravel had been moved, revealing barely-visible paw prints in the dirt. She stared at the prints. There were little claw marks to go along with them. It had been running, digging into the ground with its claws. The prints lead straight to the unit.

We're Still Alive(Book1)BEING REWRITTENOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara