Forty-Six

Jared raced up to the roof with a pair of binoculars he'd takencfrom Wes. At least half of the group was up there already, all of them trying to see what was going on.
   "Something's happening with Bill's team." Paige told him, looking in the direction the sound had come from. "I don't think they'll make it back..." She almost choked on the words as she said them.
   "What? Why not?" He asked. "You don't think they're capable of defending themselves?"
   "No, I know they are. But that sound was a call. God knows how many of them answered."
   "A call? Like the zombies are talking to each other?"
   "Something like that." She said quietly, before pushing past him. "I'm gonna check on Cobalt."
   "Yeah, alright..." He muttered, then made his way over to Miles and Lynn, who were standing at the edge of the roof. "Are we gonna send someone out?" He asked, breaking them out of their conversation.
   "We don't know yet." Lynn answered. "Bill's team isn't answering their radio."
   "Are you sure you have the right frequency?"
   "Of course." Miles replied. "We went over it yesterday."
   "What about Tom's team?" Jared asked. The siblings exchanged a look.
   "Not yet." Lynn said. "We were about to..."
   "Before you interrupted." Miles finished for her.
   "If you're sending someone out, I wanna go." He almost felt stupid for saying it, and tried to avoid cringing as Miles turned to face him.
   He stared at Jared for a few seconds before replying. "We'll think about it." Jared nodded awkwardly and walked away. Finding a somewhat clear spot on the roof, he aimed the binoculars in the direction of the gas station. He couldn't see anything of Bill's team, but he did notice the shapes that jumped from roof to roof and climbed over cars in the direction of the gas station.
   "See anything yet?" Jared almost dropped the binoculars when he heard Wes's voice behind him. The man held out his hand, and Jared set the binoculars in it.
   "Nothing of the team, but those things are going in their direction, I think. Paige said that noise after the shooting was a call. Like, zombie to zombie call." He said as Wes scanned the area.
   "Yeah, well, I wouldn't put it past them." Wes muttered. "They sending someone out for them?" Before Jared could answer, Lynn called for everyone's attention. Looking around, Jared saw that all but the guards downstairs were on the roof. Even Jay, which was surprising since Ava and Ben weren't with him. They were probably still with the horse, alone, since Paige was now back.
   "We just got in contact with Tom's team." Lynn announced. "They've heard the shooting but haven't had investigated yet." The talking started up right away, with everyone trying to yell over everyone. They all wanted to help, and Jared hoped they wouldn't ignore his request. Lynn held up her hand, and silence followed. "I'll be taking three people with me to meet up with them and hopefully Bill's team. The ones who stay will make sure that nothing gets in." There were nods and murmurs of agreement, so she continued. "I'll take Joe, Renee, and Jared. Are there any problems?" When no one answered, she said, "Okay then, let's go."