Forty-Eight

Gavin stood next to Allison on the roof of one of the many buildings around them, and together they watched the ashes float into the sky. They'd barely had time to get everyone in the truck when the
zombies started to pour in, and when they left they drove away from the mall, trying to drag the zombies along with them. Once they were far enough, Allison was able to maneuver so that they eventually lost
the pack, aside from the few stragglers that they shot. When they tried to contact those at the mall, they found that the truck's radio had been shot.
   The didn't really have anywhere to bury Bill and Jack, but they didn't want to leave their bodies out for the zombies and whatever else might enjoy the pickings. So they decided on burning them. Bill and Gavin had talked once, while watching an entrance to the mall.
   "If I end up dying  in this, don't waste your time digging a grave, just go ahead and burn the body. I wouldn't hold it against you."
   "Yeah." Gavin agreed. "Better to have the body burned than risk those things digging it up for a midnight snack. It wouldn't surprise me if they did."
   Bill had died quick; a clean shot to his forehead. No pain. Jack was less fortunate. He'd been shot in the chest, and died in the truck while they made their escape.
   "Gavin, you keep on going buddy." The pain was obvious in Jack's voice.
   Gavin shook his head. "Shut up, you're gonna be fine."
   "Tell Cora and the boys, okay?" When Gavin reluctantly nodded, Jack laid his head down and closed his eyes like he was taking a nap. He was dead minutes later.
   Reflecting back on his last moments, Gavin's chest tightened as he once again fought to hold the tears back. He failed. He wanted to act strong, but watching them burn away, he leaned into Allison.
   "I know." She said quietly. "I know."
   They stood like that until the fire eventually burned itself out. It was dark by then, so after making sure the building was safe, they slept on that roof.
   Gavin woke up before Allison. It was early in the morning; the sun was just starting to rise. He was tired, but he couldn't fall back asleep. Maybe it was because of how sore he was from sleeping on the gravelly roof, or he couldn't let himself enjoy sleep while the ashes of their friends sat just feet away. Either way, he sat quietly on the edge of the roof and watched the sun rise. He noticed a few zombies below them, wandering around slowly or darting in between buildings and cars. There was some on the roofs of neighboring buildings, but none seemed to notice them.
   He almost fell over the edge when he heard Allison, who was now apparently awake. "Gavin...?"
   "I'm here." He said, walking over to her. Her eyes were still half-closed, and she spoke slowly.
   "We have to get back to the others." She rubbed her eyes and stood up, and fall over as she did. "We need to tell them."
   "Alright then." He also stood up. "There's some outside this building, so we'll need to be quiet. And fast." She only nodded and followed him to the door leading from the roof, and they looked back at their friends one last time before leaving.