Forty-Nine

The sun was setting. Lynn had left with the convoy hours ago. They hadn't said anything over the radio for at least half an hour. She'd said not to contact them, in case they needed to be quiet; the sound of the radio would attract attention.
   Paige paced the little store she stayed in with Adam, Allison, and Cobalt. The big horse walked behind her, nibbling at her hair while following her every step.
   "Paige, you gotta calm down." Adam said as he pushed his bag closer to the wall. "And try not to lead Cobalt over here, if you can."
   "There's so many people out there and we haven't heard back from any of them in at least half an hour!" She half-yelled. "And Lynn said that Bill's team might have been attacked by other people! What if they come here while everyone's gone? What if they have more people than we have here right now?"
   Adam walked over to her and pulled her into a hug. "I know, but there's not much we can do about it right now. If anyone comes, the mall is easier to defend than attack. But for right now we just have to wait and hope for the best." She nodded and leaned into him, reaching over to pet Cobalt when he snorted jealously.
   "They're okay!" Avery's voice echoed around the mall, and Paige, Adam, and Cobalt ran out into the dining hall where she was standing with Ben, Mica, and Ella. When Paige slowed to a stop beside them, Ella was talking into the hand-held radio. Joe was talking on the other end.
   "We can't find them anywhere, and we're too far out right now to make it back before dark. I don't know if they could qualify as vampires, but I don't trust running around at night with zombies on the loose all over town. We've found a place to stay and it'll be safe enough for the night."
   "You guys just stay safe, alright? Make sure my brother stays out of trouble." Ella said, earning a chuckle from Joe at that last part.
   "Will do, I just hope you'll be able to survive without me there." He laughed.
   "It'll be hard, but we'll try our best." Ella said, playing along.
   "I'll be going then. Bye."
   "Stay safe." She repeated before handing the radio to Mica. "Keep a hold of it, will you?" He nodded and took the radio. Paige had never heard him talk since she got to the mall, but when Louis told her why,
she wasn't surprised. What did surprise her was Cobalt, who almost pushed her to the ground with his head. She hadn't even noticed him while listening to the conversation.
   "They'll be fine, I'm sure." She said more to herself than to him. "They'll find Bill's team tomorrow, and everyone will meet back here and we'll all be fine." He snorted and pushed his head under her arm, asking to be scratched.