Forty-Three

Cora laid down on her makeshift bed. During the time spent at the mall, she was usually busy, especially that week. She'd been helping to show the new group around and explain everything to them. And the next day she  had to go out on a supply run. She wasn't too excited about being outside with those things again, but it beat being stuffed inside all day. Even if it was a big inside. What worried her the most was that there might be others like the one that killed Cassidy. Suddenly her throat tightened and she held back another wave of tears. She'd known Cassidy for so long. They'd been best friends, closer than best friends, they'd been sisters. Her sister was dead. And there was nothing she could do about it. She heard someone sniff, and followed the sound to Mica. He sat cross-legged, hunched over the floor. She knew he wasn't getting much sleep, and since Cassidy died, he'd barely talked to anyone. Cora stood up and quietly made her way over to him, then sat down with him. He leaned away, but she pulled him into a hug.
   "I know." She said quietly. "You wanna be alone. But I don't." He nodded.
   "Jay?" He called, his voice barely above a whisper.
   "Yeah?" Jay looked up from where he was laying next to Avery and Ben. Mica motioned for him to join them, and he did. The three sat together, not making a noise, and when it got quiet, they laid down, side by side. Cassidy was dead, but Cora knew she wasn't gone. Not as long as they were alive.

   "Cora." A voice whispered in her ear. She jerked and sat up quickly to be met by Tom. "It's almost 10am. We've gotta go soon. She nodded.
   "Yeah, let me get ready." She replied, her eyes.
   "We'll be by the front doors." He added before walking out. She nodded and nudged Mica with her foot.
   "Hm?" He muttered, barely awake.
   "I'm going on a run. I'll be back later, make sure to tell the others."
   "Okay, be careful." He opened his eyes to look at her. "Don't let us lose anyone else."
   "I won't." She promised. He nodded and closed his eyes again while she got dressed and met Tom and the group downstairs. Actually, it was two groups. There was too many people for just one.
   "We're going to get food and water, more weapons if we can findthem." Laina explained. "They're gonna search the area, make sure there aren't any large packs or anything near the mall, and maybe find
other people."
   "Sounds good." She said, looking from him to the rest of her group. There would be four of them, like normal. Her, Tom, Max, and Laina. The second group consisted of Bill, Gavin, Allison, and Jack.
   "Let's go then." Bill said, clapping his hands together.
   "You guys be careful." Louis called as he walked by. "Don't die on us."
   "Yeah, alright." Bill answered with a smile. Then they turned to the doors, which had already been cleared of their blockades, and walked outside.