Twenty-Seven

Ohio

          They made it. Cora felt like she would burst with excitement. She hadn't felt this way since the start of the end of the world. They had crossed the bridge into Ohio hours ago, working their way around wrecked vehicles and debris, and she was sure they would reach Cincinnati soon. She could feel that the others were excited, too. She was standing on her knees in the bed of the truck, leaning over the edge with a pair of binoculars they'd picked up, trying to find any tell-tale signs of Civilization among the desolate forest of concrete and metal. Jay had to pull her down a few times because she'd almost fallen out of the truck. She didn't pay him any attention, though, just mumbled a quick 'thanks' and kept looking. They were so close. Just a little while longer and they would be safe. This nightmare would be over.

          "I don't understand." She muttered as they got further into the city, only to be met with the same sights they've been seeing on their trip across the country. "It should be here, shouldn't it? There should be something..." They were driving under overpasses, and while they'd been passing signs, the words were barely legible, covered in rust or blood. 

          "It's probably just further into the city." Jay assured her.

          He was right. Further into the city they were met by a large, fenced-off area, with barbed wire lining the tops of the tall fences and supports holding up the three-layered wall of fencing. It seemed to stretch on forever, with extra support in some areas. It must have reach around at least most of the city; standing in the truck bed, she couldn't see an end to it. On the other side of the wall were all kinds of military vehicles; humvees, a couple of helicopters perched on a tall building, even a tank. It was perfect. Or at least it would have been, if there were actual people guarding the area instead of the hundreds of zombies that now had their attention on the small group of people piled in the truck.

          "No..." Cora whispered as Mica turned the truck around and sped away. The zombies were now screaming and leaping on the fence, desperate to get to their next meal. "No, it's- it was supposed to be safe...they were gonna find a cure..." She was holding back tears now as Jay shot down the few stragglers that were chasing them. "What happened? How did they get in there? I thought..." She almost collapsed as Jay brought her into a hug.
          "I don't know." He said quietly. His voice shook and tears threatened to spill out. "It's not safe anymore."
          "But it was protected...they were supposed to be professionals. Did you see all those trucks? Helicopters, even! If they couldn't handle it, if even here wasn't truly safe..." Her eyes met his.
          "No where is." Jay finished.