Sixty-One

"What the hell was that?" Gavin yelled from the driver's seat.
   "What do you mean?" Paige asked defensively. "You weren't helping things, and did you see that guy's face? How he kept looking at his friends? They were ready to kill us; they would have if we didn't go with them!"
   "And what if they kill us when we get there?" Gavin asked. "Did you ever think about that?"
   "I don't know!" She threw her hands up in frustration. "I don't know. I wasn't thinking about it. I was just thinking about how great it would be to NOT die on the road tonight."
   "I don't think they'll try to kill us." Matt added. "If they really wanted to, they would've done it when they had the chance. And you said that they asked to join with your group? Wouldn't it be easier to just attack and then take the mall?"
   "So maybe they need more people." Cora suggested.
   "Let's hope they don't have a bunch already." Jared added. Paige turned her attention to the window.
   "Whatever they want..." She said, "We'll find out soon-" She didn't get to finish what she was saying when she heard something slam into the truck in front of them, and, looking forward, she watched one side come off the ground and fall back again.
   "What the f-" Again something rammed the truck, interrupting Gavin. This time, it slowed to a stop. Paige could just barely see the people in the truck, pointing at the windows and yelling at each other before getting hit again. Paige saw them this time; there were five zombies ramming into the truck, and she watched as it tipped over and the hunters took their prey.
   "Gavin turn around." She whispered. He didn't say anything but slowly turned the jeep around. Before they could get going, the guys behind them blocked the jeep with their truck.
   "Where the hell do you think you're going?" The woman said, her angry voice erasing all memory of the sugar-coated one she’s used just minutes ago. Gavin didn't get a chance to answer her, because a zombie jumped into the open window and made a snack out of her. There was screaming and gunshots in the truck, but Gavin maneuvered the jeep around them. After a few minutes, the sounds behind them disappeared, and it got quiet. The silence drove Paige crazy, but she was scared to break it; the others seemed the same. It didn't help anything, though. Seconds later a front tire popped and at the same time the zombies slammed into the jeep, and it started to tilt.
   How they managed to hit the jeep going 60mph, Paige had no idea. She leaned to the side, trying to use her weight to get the jeep back on all fours. Everyone else did the same, and it worked. But then the
back tire on the same side popped, and Paige felt it coming just a second before they hit again, and the jeep fell onto its side.