Sixty-Seven

"Wait!" Cora smashed into Gavin, hugging him tight. "Were you really gonna leave without telling me?"
   "Sorry." He hugged her back awkwardly. "You were on the roof, and we  need to be quick..."
   "It's okay. Just come back alive." She replied, stepping back.
   "Hey, don't worry about us." Matt added.
   "Yeah, it's not we need anyone fussing over us." Lynn added.
   "Well I know you guys will be fine. I'm just not sure about him." She pointed to Gavin.
   "Well thanks." He said sarcastically. "That makes me feel a whole lot better."
   "Bye guys." She waved to them as they walked out, then helped Louis with the doors. While she did, she noticed how quiet he was. He didn't say a word as he pushed the chairs and shelves back in place in front of the doors, and she realized that she hadn't heard him talk or laugh since she got back. That was weird, since he had the same humor as his brother. "Hey." She said as he started to walk away. He stopped and turned to her. She wasn't going to ask if he was okay. Obviously he wasn't. Instead she brought him into a hug line she had with Gavin, and he didn't push her away. "I know, it hurts. He died for us, at least. That's something you should be proud of. Don't think about his death, remember how he was when he was alive."
   "Is that what you did?" He asked quietly. "After Cassidy?" She nodded.
   "It's hard, but you'll manage." She pulled away. "I'm going back up to the roof. Go talk to someone or maybe crack a joke, okay? Put someone in a good mood. We could use that."
   "Yeah, sure." He wiped at some stay tears as he walked away, and she blinked back the ones threatening to spill out.

   Cora was on the roof with Casey and Adam. They watched the team leave in the humvee until it was out of sight, then continued pacing the edges of the roof. As usual, they started out with small talk that
got smaller and turned into silence. It wasn't an awkward silence, though. They were all listening for something; the growls and screeches of zombies, the sound of an approaching vehicle, the faraway
barks and howls of stay dogs talking to each other. As she let her eyes wander, Cora noticed something, a little flash of light that appeared for just a second. It was from the roof of a nearby gas station that had been cleared out long ago. She took out her binoculars and tried to pinpoint where the light had come from.
   "What is it?" She ignored Adam's question, straining her eyes as she laid down to get a better look. When she did finally answer, her voice was a mix of horror and anger.
   "They're watching us."