Thirty-Six

Illinois

   "What? What are they doing?" Gavin asked, trying to look around her and out the door.

   "Nothing." She said quietly. "They're gone."
   "Gone? So that means we can get out of here." He sat up and dangled his legs over the edge of the pool table, trying to avoid moving his bad shoulder.
   "No no no, we can't go out there." She was talking fast, in a panicked voice. "They know we're in here, that's why they sent the one in. They're just hiding, they're waiting for us to come out."
   "Waiting? Why not just charge in, there was a lot of them out there." Gavin said, though he was also  starting to doubt it. Max seemed to catch on.
   "It's a small opening." He said. "Easy to defend, hard to attack."
   "Right." The girl replied. She didn't take her eyes away from the door.
   "What are you talking about? I've seen some of these things run head-first into a door without so much as trying the knob, what makes you think they're smart enough to wait us out?" Wes said as he walked
over to the door and looked out himself. "There's nothing out there. That one was just a straggler, split off from the group. The others didn't find anything so they left. That's all." Gavin heard the small bit of doubt in his voice.
   "You can't go out there." She repeated, now moving away from the door. "They're waiting for us, they know we're here so they're just waiting..."
   Wes turned away from the door to look at Martine. "Did he get you?" When Martine shook his head, Wes turned back to the door. "Gavin, do you think you can make it to the hummer?"
   "Yeah, I think so." He moved his shoulder and winced, but the pain wasn't unbearable. "It's not too bad."
   "Okay, so-" he was cut short when the girl pushed past him and walked right out the door. Gavin noticed the pistol in her hands and wondered if Wes did too. It was his gun, after all. He was about to follow her when she fired two shots in the window of a neighboring building. The gunshots were met by animal-like growls and calls and she was back inside and pushing the arcade game back in place in front of the door in seconds. Her horse was freaking out, pawing at the ground and snorting loudly. Wes and Max, encouraged by the crazy flesh-eaters, helped with the games, holding it in place. Martine, getting over the shock of the attack, now had an M16 aimed at the door, ready to shoot. Gavin grabbed his pistol and stood up, letting his left arm hang at his side. Bud was barking at the zombies and trying to look threatening, even though he stayed a good distance away from the door.
   "So how stupid are you exactly?" The girl yelled over the noises from outside.
   "How was I supposed to know? We've never seen them like this!" Wes yelled.
   "Did you really think they would just leave?"
   "I wasn't the one that ran out in the middle of the road shooting at them!"
   "Both of you shut up and help me!" Max yelled, moving so he was in between them. Arms were clawing and grabbing at them and the sounds they made had Gavin almost shaking with fear. They might have been people once, but not anymore. Now they were far from human. He shot at the arms as Martine moved forward to help them with the door. They almost had it closed, but he could tell they were getting tired. He raised his pistol again, but froze when he heard something coming from somewhere inside.
   "Guys?" He called.
   "What?" Wes yelled.
   "Does this place have a back door?"
   "I think so!" Max answered. "Why?" He wanted to tell them what he heard, but they were so close to getting the door closed.
   "Just an idea." He said, turning to the lanes and a door next to the last one. It was swinging on broken hinges.