Sixty-Eight

Gavin didn't know how long it took to get to Montgomery, but Wes said it would be about an hour and a half, so he took the opportunity to sleep. He noticed that he'd started sleeping a lot more since the start of the apocalypse. They were about a month and a half in, and they had a safe enough place to stay and people to protect it and each other. Of course, their place was being threatened, but the thought of losing it didn't cross his mind. What did cross his mind when Lynn woke him up was the thought of food. If this worked, they might have enough food to last them another month or two, maybe more.
   He jumped out of the hummer with his rifle in his hands and pistol in its holster. They were parked in front of some hangars, and when he looked around, Gavin couldn't help but stare at the long runways. But they were walking away from the runways, past the hangars and further into the base itself.
   "Hey Lynn, do you think you could fly one of those?" Matt asked, pointing over his shoulder at the fighter jets.
   "Anything is possible." She answered simply, and Matt and Wes exchanged a look. Gavin had no idea where he was going, so he followed at the back of the group. It didn't take them long to find the MRE's, some in the mess hall and dry packs in storage. They also took a pickup truck after finding the keys still in the hand of the dead driver. They filled the bed of the pickup with weapons and armor, then put a bunch of the meals in the back seats.
   "I think this'll keep us alive for a while." Matt commented as they met up at the vehicles after searching the base for any extra supplies. They'd run into zombies more than once, but there weren't half as many as Gavin had expected. Was that good, or maybe suspicious? After the night the zombies took down the jeep, he felt
paranoid of the things, more than he used to be, more than anyone around him was.
   They left as soon as they could. Getting the supplies had taken longer than they thought it would, and the sun was starting to set as they neared the mall. The sky made a beautiful, red-orange color that reflected off of some of the surrounding buildings. That's not what caught the group's attention though.

*******************************************

Sooooooooooooooo the book is finally coming to an end! It's been going on a lot longer than I thought it would, but I'm gonna put up a last chapter from each POV and end it there.