Forty-One

Ohio

Cobalt looked at Paige, feeling her suddenly tense up. He didn't understand why she was so scared right then. He didn't know what could go bad if someone made a wrong move.

   She slowly led Cobalt back into the trailer. If anything broke out, he'd be safe at least. She felt the eyes following her, but didn't stop until he was munching at the hay in the back of the trailer. She didn't know what to do after that. All six of her group were pointing guns at the five people from the mall. Paige knew they could probably take them, but she was the only one who noticed the three watching from the roof. No one said anything for what felt like forever. She saw Max laying his finger over the trigger of his rifle. Before he could get any further, she kicked at his foot and when she had his attention, she indicated to the people on the roof. He whispered something to Wes and pointed up. The others also saw and she watched them relax, just a little bit. She knew they wouldn't win if they shot first. Now they knew it too.
   Three more people were walking out of the mall. "Who's this then?" A woman asked with a thick British accent.
   "I don't know 'cause no one's said a damn word in the past ten minutes." A boy replied. He looked like he was about 16 or 17. The girl standing next to him whispered in a voice loud enough for Paige to hear.
   "It hasn't been 10 minutes."
   "Oh shut up." He muttered, glaring at a guy on his other side who looked like he was trying to hold in a laugh.
   "Who are you?" Another woman asked. Wes was glaring at them, and as soon as he opened his mouth, Paige yanked at the back of his shirt, choking him for a second, and answered.
   "Look, we just drove by Columbus a while ago." She stepped in front of Wes as he opened his mouth again to talk. "We stopped here to get supplies, we didn't think there'd be anyone here. We're not a threat." She knew Wes was glaring at her, but Max looked like he was trying to hide a smile while looking back and forth between the two.
   "Who are you?" The man standing with the two repeated her question.
   "Don't-" Wes started, but Paige answered before he could finish.
   "My name's Paige. This one's Wes." She pointed behind her, then looked expectantly at the others.
   "I'm Allison."
  "Adam."
   "Max."
   "Gavin."
   "Martine."
   "Now you." Paige said.
   "Tom." He answered. "That's Lynn and Renee."
   "I'm Casey." The dark-skinned girl added. "This is Jared." She pointed to the boy beside her. "And Miles, Ella, and Joe." There was another long silence, interrupted by one of the three on the roof.

    "We good then?"
   "Yeah, Bill, we're fine." Casey called up, then looked back to them. "Come on then, I'm surprised none of the zombies have noticed us yet." While the group went back to their trucks for the few supplies they had, Paige walked back to the trailer for Cobalt. He lifted his head when he saw her, then went back to munching on hay. She walked in and pulled on his lead until he followed her into the mall.