Fifty-Three

Paige sighed and leaned against the wall. She was watching the main entrance of the mall with Louis. She wished she was up on the roof; she liked being able to see what was around her. With the windows completely blocked out, she had no way of seeing outside, and it was enough to drive her crazy.
   "Are you okay?" Louis asked with a concerned look on his face.
   "Yeah, why?" She asked.
   "Because you've been walking in circles for about 10 minutes and now your leg looks like it's having a spasm."
   Paige pushed off the wall and started walking again."I can't get still. They should've been back by now. They're risking their lives out there, and if something happens here, we might not have enough people to defend ourselves."
   "Just try to calm down. They've got Lynn and Tom leading them, and I'm sure my brother's on his way back right now with his team. I've known these people for a while now, you've just gotta trust them." She slowed down a little, but didn't stop moving.
   "Miles!" Jay's voice echoed loudly as he raced to the bottom floor. "Miles! Someone's here!" Miles practically appeared out of nowhere and sprinted up the stairs. Jay went with him. Paige started to follow,
but stopped when she remembered she was on duty.
   "Go on." Louis said. "I'll have a few others join me here."
   "Thanks." She said before following them up the stairs and to the roof. When she opened the door, she saw Miles, Jay, Wes, Martine and Ella. They were all gathered at the edge of the roof facing the large parking lot.
   "Who are you?" Miles wasn't talking directly to them, but instead into a radio. A voice on the other end crackled, and when Paige stepped closer, she saw the group of four beneath them.
   "We're just a few survivors looking for a good place to stay." The man talking into the radio was looking up at them. "If you've got the room?"
   "Is it just the few of you?" He asked.
   "Us, and a few others." The man answered.
   "How many others?" When he wasn't answered, he repeated in a more forceful voice. "How many others are there?"
   "Enough to fill a mall. We'd probably have to squeeze in to make some room, but I'm sure you won't mind, will you?"
   Paige didn't like the way he was talking. He said it in a way that sounded almost threatening, hidden behind fake desperation. "We could really use a place to settle in."
   She could tell that Miles was also doubtful. "Where have you been staying?"
   "Can't we finish this conversation inside?" As if on qeue, a zombie ran into the parking lot. One of the men, standing in the bed of their pickup truck, shot it down with a crossbow, then went to retrieve the bolt.
   "Where have you been staying?" Miles repeated like nothing had happened. "Is it suddenly not safe enough for your people? After all this time, have you still not been able to find somewhere to call home?"
   "We have, but it's not guaranteed to keep the monsters out."
   "And neither is this place." Paige could see the anger spreading across the man's face. He was getting pissed, and his companions were watching everyone on the roof carefully with their fingers on their triggers. Looking at Miles, she could see he was worried. He pressed the button to talk and opened his mouth, but no words came out. Seeing the men below growing impatient, Paige yanked the radio out of Miles' hand and talked into it.
   "I really don't think you want to stay here."
   "Oh, so they're not all British? What makes you think we won't want to stay little girl?" He asked.
   She wanted to correct him on his 'little girl' comment, but decided against it. "Because there's no room." She struggled to keep her voice steady. Miles was glaring at her and reached for the radio, but she moved away and held up a hand, telling him to wait.
   "No room?"
   "Yeah. We've got a lot of people here, and it's already a pain in the ass to feed everyone. Not to mention sleeping spots, and I'm sure you already know that there's no longer any plumbing..." She saw the smallest hint of doubt cross his face, just for a second. "You'd be surprised by what you could smell on the warmer days." Now he seemed speechless. Paige felt a sense of pride, but it died down when he
finally replied to her.
   "We'll give you some time to think about it." He tossed the radio to one of his friends, who climbed into the driver's seat with another on the passenger side. The speaker joined the one in the bed. As they drove away, Paige thought she could feel his eyes on her.