SEVEN

CHAPTER SEVEN: SIT IN

Lotus peeled her eyes open, glancing around the room. She was on the couch, where the hell did Diego go?

A loud ringing echoed, red lights flashed from the other room. She swung her legs over the side and pushed up, rushing towards the commotion. Elliott was leaning over a desk, tapping away at button until the lights and noise cut out.

"What's that?"

Elliott turned and gave her a nod, "A disturbance in the field. Your friend's gone to check it out."

Lotus sighed, walking up to him and peaking at the machine he studied. "When did he leave?"

"You just missed him."

"Oh."

Lotus looked around, tapping her foot impatiently on the ground. Elliott crossed his arms, forehead crinkled in an intense stare.

"How'd you two meet?" He questioned, "Was it in space or—"

Lotus snorted, "It was on this planet, don't get excited."

He frowned, "I was expecting something more. Oh, don't be offended! I didn't mean it like that, but, he's so... intense and you're, well, you're a lot nicer."

"We met while I tried robbing a diner back home, in 2019. He was being attacked by a group of men, he tried to kill me."

Elliott pursed his lips, "Oh."

"It's no biggy." She shrugged, "I can take him."

"What exactly is your power?"

Lotus shook her head, "It's a secret."

"How come?"

If Elliott thought his many questions would get her to spill something, he was wrong. To be fair, Lotus actually liked Elliott. He seemed nice, and let them crash at his place while they went off and did their own crazy things. Even if he was only letting them stay because he thought they were aliens, the thought was still there.

"Because Five said not to spoil it."

Elliott pursed his lips, "And you trust him?"

"With my life." She nodded, surprised with the absence of hesitation. "I mean, he's a trickster by heart and a prick by choice, but he means well."

"Why is he named Five?"

Lotus shrugged, "Sometimes I call him Maximus."

Five was a tricky person to figure out, and she wasn't even sure she had him figured out yet. Lotus kinda knew she hadn't, he was always hiding something. Yet, within these few days she noticed moments where his walls came down and he showed what he was really thinking. Granted, the few times he did this something went wrong, the latest being swiped by a baby Pogo. Lotus turned and started towards the kitchen, "Mind if I have some cereal?"

Elliott trailed behind her, "Yeah, go ahead."

She spotted a few boxes on top of the fridge, frowning as she tried to grab one.

"Here." Elliott said, taking down a box. "These just came out this year, you know that? Best cereal I've had in my whole life."

Lotus grabbed the box, staring down at the familiar name. "Froot Loops?"

He nodded eagerly, picking up a clean bowl from the sink and handing it to her, along with a spoon. She opened the fridge and took out a cartoon of milk, pouring it in after the cereal was there. Elliott put everything back as she sat at the table and took a mouthful, the box said Froot Loops, but tasted nothing like what she was used to back in the future.