TWELVE

CHAPTER TWELVE: TAKING CHARGE

Lotus didn't know how long they'd been at Allison's place of work, but they were all giggly and trying to talk over each other.

"The nerve of that man!" Allison exclaimed, "I mean, one thing goes wrong, and he's on a warpath! I mean, he doesn't know who I am! No, no, no, Ray. You know exactly who I am. You just can't handle it."

Lotus sat in a chair next to Klaus, wiggling back and fourth. "I'm having a great time."

Klaus glanced over at it, shooing Allison away. The woman moved on to her, slowly combing her hair.

"How many drinks did you have, Lotus?"

Lotus shrugged, she couldn't remember. Nor could she remember how they convinced her to try it, and then to see how much she could chug. "Who cares?" She hiccuped, a laugh escaped her lips. "I'm having fun."

"You should let me cut your hair." Allison said, "Just a little."

"Noooo!" Lotus protested, "I like my hair."

Klaus wandered over and leaned in front of her, "You would look good with bangs."

"Gross." Lotus muttered, "I don't wanna look like a librarian."

"Come on!" Allison laughed, "I'm really good."

She leaned back, extending her hands in front of her face. She tapped the air, "Oh, what the hell! You guys aren't allowed to tell me that I need to live a little anymore— alright!"

"Deal!" Vanya shouted, they all erupted in a sea of laughter.

Allison picked up her scissors and moved behind her, Lotus couldn't feel if she was cutting her hair or not.

"Is the world really gonna end in six days?" Vanya spun to face them, "Like really?"

"Well, it did last time and we did everything Five could think of to stop it." Allison said, holding her head still. Lotus hummed under her breath, her mind couldn't focus on anything.

Klaus groaned, "Wouldn't it be weird if Five grew up all hot?"

"What?"

"Wouldn't that be weird?"

Lotus smiled, "It would be a blessing!"

They all paused and stared at her, "Ew." Allison muttered, she could hear the scissors snipping now.

"What do you mean ew, little Miss "Luther was my lover.'" Klaus said, making kissing noises.

"We have never even kissed!" Allison protested, moving in front of Lotus. "Close your eyes." She mumbled

Lotus did, "Did the lights go out?"

"Oh my god." Klaus hacked, "Did she just ask if the power went out? No— you're eyes are closed, hun."

She peaked one open, "Oh! Woah, that's much better."

"You and Luther were a thing?" Vanya questioned.

"No!"

Klaus nodded, "Yeah, but you guys were making little sick moon dog eyes at each other all through puberty and breakfasts and all that."

"Aren't we all brothers and sisters?" Vanya raised a brow, "Or..."

"Well, technically—"

"Technically!" Klaus gasped, "If you have to word— if you have to use the word technically, you're already in trouble!"

Allison continued to snip away at her hair, Lotus knew she'd regret this tomorrow but in the moment she couldn't give a single shit. Is this why Klaus was always drunk— or why Five always had one when he was stressed?