TWENTY FOUR

CHAPTER TWENTY FOUR: LISTEN

Lila broke out in laughter, watching her with amused eyes. Lotus didn't break her stare, she felt so panicked she was running on fight mode. She wasn't thinking anything through, all she knew was Five was still buried under a ton of bricks and there was still no movement— and that a woman that Diego had found in a nuthouse wanted to kill him.

"You think I won't kill you?" She scoffed, brows furrowed with the lack of reaction. "Fine, I'll kill you in front of your little boyfriend and call it a day."

Lotus lunged first, but Lila was quick, she grabbed her arm and twisted, pulling her against her body. "I heard a rumour—"

Lotus could feel her words wash over her, before she even finished her sentence. Lotus kicked out, hitting her shin. Lila grunted, disappearing and popping up right behind her.

"You're a little slow." Lotus huffed, doing the same. She appeared on the other side of the room, watching as Lila eyed her with confusion. "I can do that too."

If she could only reach Lila, get a good grip and change, she'd be able to do anything she could do, which seemed to be a lot.

Luther came up behind the woman, throwing a punch but she spun and caught it, Lotus watched in wonder as Luther struggled against it. Within a blink of an eye Luther was flung to the wall, crashing through the brick and outside.

Lotus dashed at Lila, gripping her shoulder as she felt the change course through her. Lila elbowed her in the stomach and shoved her off, out of the corner of her eye she could see the pile of bricks move. Lotus ducked and dodged all the other woman's punches, leading her away from Five.

"That's a fancy little trick." Lila spat, blinking out. Lotus felt a kick to her back, she went scrambling. It was always hard changing into someone new. She wasn't used to the height difference or the balance of Lila, of her long legs and rage she felt that carried over. Lotus rolled to the side, avoiding a stomp to her chest. She scrambled up, grabbing a chunk of wall that had crumbled down and threw it. Lila snorted, crossing her arms. "You're useless compared to the others."

Lila was quick, light on her feet, it was clear she'd been raised a fighter. Lotus dived as the woman grabbed a fire poker from the floor and swung it. She waved it around, jabbing at her as she scrambled to her feet. Lotus reached a hand out and caught mid swing, catching Lila by surprise. The woman's eyes widened as she stared at the poker, Lotus gasped as it smouldered under her touch and raced to Lila's side, she dropped it with a curse. Lotus reached down and scooped it up, blinking out behind and appearing behind Lila, bringing the burning metal down against her knee. She buckled, stumbling away.

"Lucky break." Lila hissed, "You're still pathetic."

Lotus sighed, in the back of her mind she knew the woman was right. Why was she given all these loopholes to her power— why was she given this power anyways? If she had time to practice, figure out how to use each one the correct way she'd be a force to be reckoned with. But she didn't have time. And they were running out of it.

"I heard a rumour you killed your mother." Lotus glared, watching as a white glaze coated her brown eyes, but Lila blinked and it was gone. "Jesus Christ, of course."

"You can't use my own shit against me, kid." Lila vanished, and Lotus spun to catch a glimpse as a hand came over her mouth and gripped her hair. Lotus yelped as she was shoved to the ground, Lila's grip reminded her of Luther's strength, and the way she tossed him through the wall, she tried not to look panicked. Lila kneeled over her, pressing her knee into her back. "You're a terrible fighter. Even with your abilities. It's a shame, really."