SIXTEEN

CHAPTER SIXTEEN: MR. ALABAMA

"We need to get everyone back in that alley before time runs out." Five declared, grabbing a set of watches and handing them out. "We meet in 77 minutes."

"Woah, woah, woah." Diego called out, "Wait, you show up drenched in blood and expect us to believe that everything is gonna go back to normal if we get home now?"

Five glared, "Elliot just got killed because of us!"

"What about Dad? JFK?"

Lotus frowned, "Can we stop with the whole JFK thing? We are stuck in the past and we aren't supposed to do anything to drastic to change the timeline! Tracking down your Dad and talking to him was a big enough risk but saving the president? He dies, Diego. We can't change that."

"We have a chance to go home and make things right." Five nodded, "We are taking it."

Diego paused, "I have to say goodbye to Lila."

"Lila doesn't give a shit about you, Diego! She never did." He shouted, "She's one of them, she's a member of the Commission."

"No way."

"She was just using you to get to me!" He turned and took off towards the stairs. "You're the Oswald of this story, my friend. The goddamn patsy."

Diego charged forward, "You don't know what you're talking about!"

Five met his charge, pointing a finger in his face. "If you don't do this, I'll kill you myself. Got it?"

They all fell silent as he disappeared, leaving Diego fuming.

Luther walked next to his brother and placed a hand on his shoulder and sighed, "Women. Am I right?"

"Dear god." Lotus mumbled, making her way to the front door. "So, I wasn't given a job but I'm coming along with one of you so, choose before I do."

"You can have her." Diego have a curt nod to his brother, throwing himself down the staircase and out the main doors.

Luther nodded slowly as she trailed behind him, quickly matching his pace as soon as they hit the sidewalk. Allison's house was just on the other side of downtown, maybe a twenty minute walk. Five seemed to take the only car they had, which was ridiculous considering he could time travel. Luther was unusually quiet as they walked down the street, Lotus found herself gazing around as if a conversation would bloom out of nowhere.

"Can I ask you something?" Luther asked, glancing down at her.

She pursed her lips, "I guess."

"Why do you flinch every time I do something? Like, not every time, but if I were to yell or drop something—"

"It's nothing." Lotus shrugged, she hadn't realized she was still doing that. "Don't worry about it."

"Don't worry about it? Sometimes when you look at me you look scared."

She sighed, "You shot me. And I technically died."

"I what?"

Lotus shook her head, "When Vanya was locked up, you were very protective of her staying that way. Allison sent me down to unlock her, I shifted into her 'cause we thought you'd be more understanding if it was her. You shot me anyways, I didn't even hear you come down. I remember Klaus found me and brought me upstairs, and I think I died in Five's arms."

Luther went quiet, she could see him trying to unpack all of that.

"But you're not dead."

"He went back in time, so it never happened. He said normally people don't really remember but I was still covered in my own blood and all I could feel was the pain."

He took a deep breath, staring at her now. "I... I don't know what to say."

"You apologized, it's fine."

"Yeah, I apologized for being an asshole when we first met. Not for... for killing you!"

She shrugged, "I'm still here."

"Lotus!"

"What!"

Luther snapped his fingers at his sides, "I can't believe I did that."

"Technically, you didn't."

"That's not the point." He said, "Is that why Five would also mutter under his breath about throwing me off a bridge?"

Lotus's brows furrowed, "When did he do that?"

"Mostly when it's just us in a room. It'll be dead silent and I can just hear him muttering and glaring at me."

"Sounds like him." She smiled.

Luther made a face of disgust, "Are you guys a thing now?"

"I'm sorry Mr Alabama, does that offend you?"

"Did you just call me—"

"Yes I did."

He huffed, "You're spending to much time with that little twerp."

She laughed, "He's good company."

He stopped, causing Lotus to stumble past a group of teenagers before turning at Luther. "Why'd you stop walking?"

He adjusted his shirt sleeves, "I was wondering maybe if I could go get Allison alone? I-I wanna talk to her... in private."

Lotus nodded slowly, "You could've just told me that. I'll go wait in the alley for everyone. Be on time, Luther. Please."

He smiled, "Copy that."

He took off quite quickly as she watched him, a few people stared up at him in confusion and wonder as he passed. Lotus snickered, trying not to laugh as he ran into the pole of a stop sign and bent it.

She spun on her heels and made way for the alley, praying to every god everything would work out. That they would all make it back in time, and that Five's plan would work. She wanted to go home desperately, she had had enough of 1963. It was time to go home.