THIRTY

CHAPTER THIRTY: NO PLACE LIKE HOME

They were almost half across the field when they heard Vanya shout, all turning to catch a glimpse of the rest of the family shuffle to the basement of the barn.

"How did we forget about the kid?" Diego questioned, glancing back at the two figures they originally planned to meet.

"Does this make us terrible people?" Lotus wondered.

"No."

Both Diego and Lotus turned to Five who raised an eyebrow, "Yeah you're right. What makes you a terrible person is killing the board of directors!" Diego huffed, marching back towards the barn.

Five trailed behind his brother, "What? You wanted to get home, right?"

"Why is murder always your answer to everything?"

He glanced back at her as she followed, "Okay, so, what I'm hearing is that everyone would prefer to stay here."

"I mean," she shrugged, "Since doomsday's a no go, why can't we stay here? Present time sucks ass."

"We are not staying here." Diego called from the front of their little group, approaching the barn quickly.

When they entered and rushed down the stairs the others had, Lotus' eyes widened as Harlan sat curled up in a corner, waves of blue surrounding him as he rocked back and forth.

Vanya was in front of him, holding onto his legs. "Whatever it is I gave you, I can take it back, okay? We just, we need to stop this."

The woman raised her hands, they watched as she grasped the boys knees. Orange light flickered in his face while blue shone from Vanya's hands.

Lotus glanced over at Sissy, watching as she was bent over with eyes closed, hands clasped together probably praying to whatever god who would listen. She walked over and wrapped an arm around the older woman, "He's going to be fine." Lotus said as Sissy leaned against her, tears leaking from her eyes. "Your baby's gonna be okay."

The energy whirled around, exploding in a blue haze before everything fell unbelievably silent. Vanya flew back, Harlan stopped shaking and took a weary look around.

"See." Lotus whispered as he looked to his mother, Sissy sobbed as she ran to her child.

"Oh, my baby." She exclaimed, dropping in front of Harlan and engulfing him into a hug. They all watched as she wept, turning to Vanya and thanking her.

Sissy slowly helped Harlan up, addressing each of them as she explained they needed to get some fresh air. Diego nodded slowly, "Our visitors are still waiting."

"Visitors?" Allison questioned.

"Oh yeah." Five sighed, "I guess we should see what they want."

Lotus nodded as he walked over to Diego and grasped his arm, "We'll meet you there."

They vanished in a haze of blue, that seemed to be their reoccurring colour.

She rolled her eyes, closing them as she pictured the open field. Within seconds she felt the world adjust around her, when her eyes opened she stood on the open plain a few feet in front of the brothers.

"You did it!" Five gave her a nod, "Have you met Herb?"

They all walked beside each other as they finally met the other two, "Herb, Dot." Five said.

"Hi." The woman named Dot nodded, looking between them all.

"Herbie!" Diego cheered, extending his hand. Herb accepted, a grin on his face as they did a little handshake. "Hey! My man."