TWENTY THREE

CHAPTER TWENTY THREE: TRICK OR TREAT

"Well." Lotus found herself next to Five, "Is this what you were expecting?"

Five shook his head, "Not even close."

Harlan was suspended midair, shaking violently as Vanya shouted his name. It was a terrible sight, he was only a kid.

"I need you to listen to me, okay?" Vanya yelped stepping closer, "Can you do that?"

Lotus didn't want to be the bearer of bad news, but it seemed the boy couldn't do anything as the vortex shook him around like a rag doll. Vanya took a deep breath, rushing forward and stumbling into the vortex. They all watched worried, waiting for their cue if anything were to go wrong.

"Um, guys." Klaus' voice floated over, "Who are they?"

They all shuffled to the other side of the barn, both doors wide open. Two figures stood in the middle of the barren field, staring at them.

"One's the Handler, the other's Diego's girlfriend." Five sighed.

Lotus' brows furrowed, "I thought the Handler was dead."

"Lila." Diego shook his head, "That's my ex-girlfriend."

"What?"

"You know what, it doesn't matter." He huffed, "They both look angry."

Allison pursed her lips, "Yeah well, our brother has that kind of effect on people."

"I'm gonna go find out what they want. You guys stay with Vanya and the kid." Five said, walking forward.

"I'm coming with you, too. Come on." Diego added, following him out the other doors. Lotus sighed, rushing after them.

"You should stay back." Diego told her once he noticed her trailing them, they made their way around the building and towards the field. "The Handler has it out for you."

"What did I do?"

"She blames you for her plan falling through."

She was still confused, "What plan?"

"Don't know. The crazy bitch mumbles a lot."

Lotus fell silent, walking between both of them. When they were in close enough range, the Handler gave them all a stretched smile. "I love the smell of that fresh country air, don't you darling?"

Lila scowled, "Makes me want to vomit."

"What do you want?" Five glared at them.

"To watch you suffer." Lila seethed at him, but Diego met her angry gaze. "What about me?"

She rolled her eyes, "You're not even worth my wrath."

The Handler sighed, "Easy. We're here on official business."

"And what business is that?"

"As the head of the Commission I've decided to eliminate the criminals responsible for the assassination of the former board of directors." She hissed, looking regal in her black long coat, a veil clouded her face.

"Yeah, right." Diego laughed, "We didn't kill the board."

Five pursed her lips, "Uh, actually, Diego, that's not entirely accurate."

"Are you kidding me?" Lotus whacked his shoulder, "What the hell is wrong with you?"

"You didn't tell them?" The Handler had a smug look on her face as she stared between them all. "Oh, Five."