B-SIDES

CHAPTER FOUR: LOST

*The Garden by July Talk

"I thought we were gonna go find Elliott." Lotus pointed out as they trudged down a dirt road, the dark of the night surrounding them. They had wandered out of the city ages ago, she had no idea where they were going as she knew Elliott wasn't hiding out in the middle of a corn field.

"It's nice out here, huh?"

Lotus glanced to her side, where Five walked beside her, hands shoved in his pockets.

"I guess."

His nose crinkled, "The air smells fresh."

"Well, I mean, we're in the middle of nowhere." Lotus shrugged, "And isn't all air technically fresh?"

He snorted, looking around. On one side of them was a corn field and the other, barren grass that must've stretched for miles in the darkness. Lotus pursed her lips, paranoia kicking in. She wasn't a fan of the dark, or what lurked in it.

"What?" Five titled his head to the side, "Are you scared?"

She must have had a look on her face because his was full of amusement as he waited for her answer, "No."

"Are you sure? What do you think is out there, ghosts?"

"They're not real."

He snorted again, "Tell me, what's Klaus' ability again?"

Lotus frowned, "Damn."

It was still hard to believe that there was people like them out there, who could do the things they did. All of it should have been impossible— time travel, communing with the dead, shapeshifting— it was all crazy.

"We have ten days." Five said, staring straight ahead. In the distance, a blur of light shone in the dark. "More than last time. We should be able to do it then."

"You're overestimating everyone, here."

His brows furrowed, "I know. My family is useless."

"Ok, they're not useless." Lotus quipped, "They just grew up in a toxic household."

"And I grew up alone. Same difference."

She paused, watching the light far ahead of them turn into two. She squinted, "Who's driving on a barren road in the middle of the night."

"We don't know it's the middle of the night."

"You have a watch, moron."

Five chuckled, slipping it out from his pocket. It was an old thing, the glass face cracked and dirty. "Nearly two am."

"Do you think there's coyotes out here." Lotus questioned, peering out into the corn field. "Or like, big packs of raccoons."

"Could be. Coyotes, of course. I don't like there are big packs of racoons out there."

Her gaze flickered to him, walking by her side in the dead of night. She hadn't known him very long, but it felt like forever. His eyes were focused ahead, brows furrowed in harsh lines like they always were, his resting face seemed to be the biggest bitch face she had ever seen. But it suited him, no matter how weird that sounded.

A hand shot out in front of her, she came to a stop and shot him a weird look. "What—"

The lights were headlights, attached to a large white milk van. Three people sat inside, one driving while two hung out each window with guns illuminated in the moonlight.

"Oh great, the three musketeers." She muttered as Five grabbed ahold of her hand and dragged her off the road towards the field. She yelped as shucks of corn whipped her face, she swatted her free hand to avoid the ones Five discarded that rounded back to her. "Why couldn't we have gone across the road?"

"Running across an open field to avoid begin shot isn't a good idea!" He yelled, running faster. Lotus struggled to keep up with him, "Hold on!"

The world warped and she stumbled, Five caught her as they continued running. She didn't how far he jumped into the field, or if even he knew. She couldn't hear anything expect for their heavy footsteps and the rustle of leaves they brushed by.

Her heart raced in her chest as they went on, the dense field seeming endless. She could hardly make out Five in front of her, the darkness hiding everything else but the sturdy outline of him.

"They shouldn't be here already." He grumbled slowing to a stop, he ran a hand through his hair as he faced her. "The Commission's getting faster."

"Didn't they send Hazel and Cha-Cha pretty quick?"

He shook his head, "We've been here less than 24 hours and we've got people after us already."

Lotus looked around, pursing her lips. "You sure there isn't any coyotes?"

"Lotus!"

She raised her hands in accusation, "Okay, jeez."

"We need to get to Elliott's."

"I thought that's what we were supposed to be doing."

He huffed, tapping his foot impatiently on the ground. "This is what I get for trying to take a break."

"What?"

He turned and started off in the opposite direction, Lotus watched in confusion before racing after him.

"Is it to hard to ask for a few minutes?" He grumbled, "There's always something to do and always someone trying to kill me!"

"What are you rambling about?"

He stopped, spinning on his heels until he met her gaze. He stared down at her, "Just a few minutes."

"For what?"

His hand gripped her arm, "For... for—"

"You're freaking me out." She mumbled not breaking his gaze, "What's bothering you?"

Blue eyes searched her green ones, waiting for the other to move. They flickered to her lips, she froze as he leaned down—

A gun shot rang out and she yelped, jumping in the direction it echoed. Her eyes widened as a beam of light made it's way over, Five retook her hand and within moments they were gone.

They reappeared downtown, standing in the centre of a quiet road. She sighed with relief, street lamps flickering. "That was close."

"What was?" He was quick to answer, pulling her towards the old television shop.

"Those Commission triplets."

She let him lead her down the street, a few hollers echoed from a nearby bar. Lotus pursed her lips, sneaking glances at the boy.

Five nodded, "Yeah. Yeah, that was."