ELEVEN

CHAPTER ELEVEN: A LITTLE BREAK

"All right. First off, I wanna say I'm sorry." Five addressed them all, the rest of them were scattered about the living room all watching with curious eyes. "I know I really screwed the pooch on this whole going-back-in-time-and-getting-stuck thing. But the real kick in the pants here is that we brought the end of the world back here with us."

Klaus spun around, a half empty bottle of alcohol gripped in his hand. "Oh, my God, again?" They all nodded as he stepped closer, "All of you knew? Why am I always the last one to find out about the end of the— Oh my god! My cult is gonna be so pissed. Five! I told them we had until 2019."

"We have until Monday." Lotus said counting off her fingers, "Six days."

Klaus brought the bottle to his lips, "Is it Vanya?"

"Klaus!" Allison hissed.

He shrugged, "What? It's usually Vanya."

Vanya shifted in her seat, turning to Five. "Do you have any leads?"

Diego picked up a folder and handed it to his brother, who handed it to Allison. "Yeah, we have one."

Allison opened it up to reveal the photo of their father on the grassy knoll, her eyes widened. "Holy shit, is that Dad?"

"Yeah."

"That's him?" Vanya came over and examined the photo.

"Standing on the grassy knoll." Diego said matter of factly.

Five nodded, "Diego and I have been trying to talk to Dad about what exactly this means. So far, we've got nothing."

"Not nothing. He's trying to kill Kennedy."

Lotus rolled her eyes, "I hate this place."

"Maybe." Five said, "But we don't know who or what sets doomsday in motion. Could be Kennedy, could be something entirely independent. But if we know something changes the timeline, we have to make it right again."

"Yeah, but how, if we don't know what's broken?" Allison shook her head.

"Oh come on, do the math." Diego sighed, "We know Dad's having shady ass meetings with some shady ass people. We know he's on the grassy knoll in three days to kill the president. So I think we all know what we have to do."

Five nodded, "Fine Dad." But Diego had other plans, "Kill Dad."

"Jesus Christ." Lotus mumbled, shaking her head.

Vanya looked to everyone, "None of us are supposed to be here right? I mean, what if it's us? Has anyone here done anything to screw up the timeline?"

They all said nothing, adverting their attention somewhere else. Luther was the first to talk, "Diego's been stalking Lee Harvey Oswald."

"And you're working with Jack Ruby!" He fired back.

Klaus pursed his lips, "Allison has been very involved in local politics."

"Okay, you started a cult!"

"So what?" Klaus hissed, "Lotus punched a few racists!"

Lotus met Five's glare, a shrug finding her shoulders. "And I'd do it again."

Vanya waved her hand around, "I'm... I'm just a nanny on a farm. I don't have anything to do with all of that."

"Well, maybe you do, we just don't know it yet."

A whistle cut through their bickering, Diego stared down at all of them. "Listen to yourselves. Everything in our new lives is connected to Kennedy. That can't be a coincidence. Luther works for Ruby, Allison is protesting the government, Dad is on the grassy knoll, Klaus is... doing something weird and pervy but probably related. See, clearly, we were all sent back here for one special reason: saving John Fitzgerald Kennedy."

Everyone broke out into loud arguments, Lotus pulled herself up and ran a hand through her hair. "Guys!" She yelled, trying to calm them all down. It didn't help that two of them were drunk.

"Guys, you all die." Five broke the chatter, voice cracking. "I was there. I saw it. And I wanna forget it, but I can't."

They all looked over at him, suddenly silent.

"I saw Russian nukes vaporize the world with all of you in it." He frowned, "In a war that never happened until we brought it here. And Hazel gave his life to save us, so you may need to shut up and just listen to me."

Lotus wandered over to his side and took his hand in her hers, standing just behind him. He gave her a nod, squeezing her hand. "I don't know if the things we've experienced here are all connected. I don't know if there's a reason for everything. But Dad will. We need to talk to him before everyone and everything we know is dead."

Luther stood up quickly, "Okay, I'm out."

"Did you even hear me, Luther?" Five glared at him.

"Yeah, yeah I did." He nodded, "I heard a 58 year old man who still wants his daddy to come and fix everything. Well, you can count me out. It's time we all grew the hell up."

Lotus crinkled her nose, "What's that I'm hearing? A whole lot of hypocrisy and bullshit."

He shook his head, marching down the stairs. They all called after him, but Diego was the only one to follow. Five huffed, stepping away from her and vanishing. She rushed over to the railing and peered down, he was now in front of Luther and Diego on the stairwell.

"No one leaves until we figure this out."

Luther said nothing, until bent over and simply picked up his brother and tossed him over the railing. "Five!" She shouted as he disappeared before hitting the floor.

Luther and Diego continued on their way, the door slamming shut behind them. "Shit." She whispered.

"Come hang out!" Klaus' voice rang, "Lotus— we miss you!"

She turned, trudging her way back to the living room. Klaus held a bowl of Jell-o salad in his hands, "You know, I could easily go for some tacos right now. Allison?"

"Tacos?" The woman questioned, "Shouldn't we wait?"

"You know those guys. I mean, it could take forever for them to bro it out." He turned to Vanya, "Vanya, tacos?"

"Is there any way that tacos are gonna cause the end of the world?"

Klaus stood up, "I mean, there's only one way to find out, right? Let's go!"

"Sure!" The other two woman said, all standing up to follow Klaus to the front door.

"Wait! What about the plan?" Lotus asked, trailing behind.

Klaus laughed, "There is never really a plan. Come on, young child. Join us for some tacos. Let loose. Live your life— it's over in six days."

"Not if we stop it."

Allison smiled, "You deserve a little break before everything falls apart."

"Yeah, come on." Vanya ushered her forward.

"Never listen to Klaus." Ben's voice rang out, "Never."

Lotus pursed her lips, maybe she did need a little break. And tacos did sound good right now.

"Fine." She walked towards Allison, "But just a little break."

Klaus laughed following them out, "Let's go!"