Chapter 4

Back to my apartment. I stopped four times on the stairs. First fourth flight. Then the seventh. Then eighth and ninth. The first two were just to catch my breath and curse the inventor of stairs. The eighth floor was to rationalize with my annoyance that April insist we live on the tenth floor because it is her lucky number. She puts up with a lot from me and how was she to know this situation would happen. The final stop was because I realized I left my box of Apple cookies Mrs. Everly gave me in the car and I debated getting them. I decided they'd be a welcome treat when I got groceries tomorrow. Might help motivate me back up the stairs.

I approached our front door and unlocked it and headed inside. In the kitchen/common room stood April starring at the sink.

"I'm thinking of looking into the black market for elevator parts." I stated as I collapsed into one of the chairs along the kitchen island.

"I'll produce any money you might need. My legs can't take this torture much longer." She was looking down into the sink.

I peered along with her across the counter. A pot sat in the sink with a blackened substance.

"Sooooo, what was that?"

"A box mix of a rice dish." She sighed as she looked into the sink.

April grew up well off. She had a chef and maid growing up so she never acquired skills in cooking and cleaning well at home. She lived close by and we visited her house on occasion. It was the largest, fanciest house I had ever been to. She wanted to live "normally" and figure things out on her own, so she decided to live on her own during college even though she easily could have lived at home. 

I had to give her credit. She never mentioned or gloated about her privileged  upbringing around other people. She worked hard to master skills to make it on her own. When we first met I caught her watching a video on how to make a bed and she spilled everything. Since then she's dubbed me her real life skills tutor. Cooking lessons weren't going well.

"Well. At least you didn't create fire?" I added.

"This is embarrassing. I think the stove hates me."

"Yes. And that stove also spoke to all the other stoves and made sure they were in on it too."

"Glad we're in agreement here." We both laughed.

"Fill the pot with water and soap and let it soak. In the meantime I'll make you something."

"You're my savior."

"Call it payment for having to wake me."

"I was already up. You know I love the quiet of mornings. Plus I'm pretty sure I failed pretty hard at waking you. How late were you?"

"Ugh don't take me back to that anxiety. It's been a long day."

April had sat in the spot I had been in watching me cook now.
"What happened? Did you meet any new guys? Maybe one who can take over wake up responsibilities?" She gave me a coy smile at that.

"First of all. If any guys going to last I should probably avoid him seeing me in my morning state until he's sure he loves me."

"Smart entrap him with your amazing personality and incredible beauty, so he will be blinded by his love when you turn evil."

"Second do you really think any guy would look twice at me. I mean I look like the before make over image but like worse."

"You don't look your best I'll admit but you don't look as bad as you think you do in your head."

April was studying business. Her family owned a chain of high fashion stores and she's been immersed in the world of fashion since childhood. She has been to fashion week in New York and gone on many visits to Paris and Milan. She was expected to take over someday. She was nervous but excited to take on her family's legacy. She'd do great. No doubt in my mind. She'd had an incredible sense of style and looked put together in every situation. She also excelled in all her business classes.

"Also I could give you some tips on clothes, hair, and makeup whenever you need me, BUT you don't need a makeover. You have your own sense of style that fits you perfectly."

"Agree to disagree. This hair screams that I'm correct." I said as I pulled off my hat.

"Well as I said this moment not the best. Are you coming with tonight. I could do your hair and makeup?"

"What are the plans?"

"Sophia and Fiona invited us to go to a pre game at a frat then head over to Players."

I doubted they invited BOTH of us. The girls made it clear to me that I didn't fit their social circle and they preferred not socializing with me in public. Luckily going out wasn't my number one hobby so I didn't mind. Letting down April was always hard though.

"Sorry April. I'm feeling pretty beat."

"Autumn please. You are my backup. You know how nervous I get talking to guys. You always tell a joke and ease the tension and I feel at ease."

See I told you I wasn't that awkward outside of mornings. It's really just mornings. Autumn and mornings don't mix I tell you.

"Sorry April. I'm looking forward to a date with my comfy bed and Netflix."

"Fine. I'm calling a rain check to be used at my discretion."

"Im not sure why I'd agree to that."

We ate the food I made before I headed into my room and pulled on a pair of sleeping shorts and a tank top. I went to work on my hair and managed to braid it. Solves messy morning hair. If only I had been this foresighted the previous night...

...

The next morning I got up around 10 and went to the kitchen to make coffee. When I was about half way through my first cup I heard a bedroom door open. I glanced up and saw Henry. Wait what?!? I did a double take. Yep Henry who I spent hours with yesterday was exiting it looked like Sophia's room. Ok then.

"Hello." I said. What are you suppose to say to your roommates latest hookups? Awkward morning me put into awkward situations. Of course that's how my life works.

"Autumn?" Henry stood right where he was when our eyes first met, but now his eyes were looking me over.

"Yes...." Dude you're the one in my kitchen in my apartment. I'm not the one out of place here.

"You live here?"

"No I just like breaking into people's apartments early in the morning to drink coffee."

"I don't think 10 counts as early morning."

"Agree to disagree."

He laughed at that and I looked over and...WAIT...was he staring at my legs. He just hooked up with my roommate. This is awkward and for once I'm not the one making the situation that way.

"I didn't see you last night. We came back with two other girls."

"Yeah I didn't go with them last night."

Just then Sophia came out of her room just as Henry muttered what I think was "too bad" but I'm not 100% sure.

"Henry. Babe you're still here. Do you want to go get food with me? I need to shower first but you're welcome to join." Sophia's normal voice turned into shat I assume she thinks of as seductive sounding?

Also this just got awkward. Coffee. Fill up cup first then. Escape.

"Uh..." Henry stood there rubbing the back of his neck.

Sophia finally looked over where Henry was glancing and saw me. "Sorry about my roommate. Was she bothering you? Ignore her."

Oh yes. Me the rent paying resident of this apartment is the one out of place.

Henry just stood there. Still kind of staring over at me.

"Don't worry Sophia. I'm headed back to my room. I won't disturb any plans you guys have. Feel free to the coffee. I'm headed to the store later. Text me if you need me to get anything."

As I went to close my door, I saw Henry still looking over at me with an expression that was like he wanted to say something but couldn't.

When I was in the safety of my room. I picked up my lap top and set it on my desk to begin working on homework before I run to the store and then to the Everly's for dinner. I'm excited for a night of awkwardness free company and delicious food.