Chapter 5

The door. I see it. Now feet move towards it. You can do it.

I've made it up ten flights with all the groceries. I decided one trip would be better than multiple. Best choice? We'll never know. But hey I made it. Taking more breaks than I'll admit to anyone. I was using my apple cookies for motivation but I finished those on the second floor, so there went that idea.

Also an old lady passed me at one point. I'm going to pretend that didn't happen. I'm really not that out of shape. I run (on flat ground). I also do yoga. I do the occasional barre class. Stairs will be the death of me. I think they provide some different level of torture.

I pushed the door open and dropped the groceries onto the floor of the kitchen.

April was standing there and took in my sweaty appearance.

"Do you think if I do grocery delivery they will bring it up the stairs to the door? Because next week is my turn and if you look like this after carrying the groceries up, then there's no hope for me."

April did not work out. One time she went for a run for me. I ended up giving her a piggy back ride after she gave up after a half mile. I'd be impressed she made it a half mile but she walked a large portion of that. Another day she decided to go to a barre class with me because she thought the clothes were cute. She ordered three outfits before attending. I warned her. After one class my wardrobe expanded and I got to listen to her complain for four days of the pain she was in.

"I'm sure if you pay them enough money. If not I'll set up a memorial service for you on the forth flour." I said as we began putting groceries away.

"Awwww. This is why you're my best friend. Also it's so cute you think I'd making it up four flights."

"How'd you make it up last night?"

"Well. Fiona met these guys who live in our building and we walked back with them. When we got back here she convinced them to show off how strong they are they should compete on who could carry us up the most flights."

"Ok. I'm surprised these words are coming from me but...Fiona is a genius. An evil one but a genius none the less. Also guys can be really dumb."

We were both laughing.

"So since you abandoned me last night, we haven't caught up. Want to get dinner tonight?"

"Sorry. I'm headed to the Everly's for monthly dinner. Wanna come?"

April occasionally tagged alone with me to the Everly's. They said she was always welcome.

"Let's see. Stay home and cook for myself or go eat delicious food and be forced to spend further time with you. Tough choice."

"I'll text them you're coming. Glad to know my presence is your best option for the evening."

I texted Mrs. Everly about April joining for dinner.

"I'd only make the trip up those stairs for you or a gorgeous dark haired man who creates all sorts of fantasies in my head."

"Well I cant provide one of those for you right now and my presence now seems like a let down in comparison." I joked back.

"You never know. What are you wearing tonight?"

"Sneakers, jeans, and a sweater. It's suppose to get chilly."

"You're not dressing up?"

"It's just the Everly's."

...

It rolled around to the time to leave for the Everly's and I headed to the common room to meet April. She can't put looking cute in booties, a skirt hitting her mid thigh, and a sweater. Her hair was curled and she had her make up done to look natural yet show off her features perfectly. She looked straight out of a magazine. Just like normal.