Chapter 17

Zander's POV

"Autumn. Get your cute little butt out of this car."

I dropped Ashton off first figuring I should probably stay with Autumn tonight. I now regret it. He'd be helpful in getting up these stairs. We have a choice 10 flights of stairs or 1 mile to my place and 2 flights of stairs.

"But I'm tired Zander."

Why did I think giving here that much alcohol would be good. Oh yeah because she was freaking out over Nick. What the fuck was going on with that guy? He was obviously still interested, but was also acting like a complete asshole. Autumn obviously missed something. Right now that mystery would have to wait though. I needed to get this girl to her apartment.

"Autumn do you want to sleep in the car? Or your warm bed? With your comfy pillows? And your big fluffy comforter?"

"That sounds nice."

"Ok. Well you have to get out of the car."

"Fiiiiiinnnnnneeee."

She swing her legs out and stood. She immediately gripped onto me. I quickly got the door shut before she had the chance to get back in.

"I'm hungry Zander."

"You can have food in your apartment."

We made it to the stairs and slowly started climbing. Not an easy feat with a very drink Autumn. She kept tripping and stopping in fits of giggles.  After two flights she stopped and sat down.

"My feet hurt."

She was staring intensely at her shoes. I should have let her wear more comfortable shoes. Hindsight's 20/20. Lets be honest that isn't the only decision I'm regretting tonight.

"We still have a lot more stairs to climb Autumn. So you need to get up."

"No."

This girl testing my patience. Maybe I could carry her. You see it in movies all the time. Can't be that hard.

"Want me to carry you?"

"You can't carry me."

"Yes or No. if not you're walking."

"Fine."

She stood up and we coordinated into me giving her a piggy back ride. Not an easy feat with a drunk person who sways back and forth.  I made it up half a flight and was out of breath. The movies lie. This is much harder than it seems.

In total I managed to get us up a flight and a half. We stop on the landing while I catch my breath. I should start going to the gym.

"Ok Autumn. We need to keep moving."

"Feet hurt. Wait I have an idea."

I'll take whatever gets us up these stairs. I look and she starts crawling up the stairs. Gross but it's forward movement. She makes it the rest of the way and crawls to the wall and lays back.

"I'm tired. I rest now."

She closes her eyes. She does look cute. Fuck. How were we making it the rest of the way. I sat next to here and sighed. I wonder if google has a solution. What would I search? Getting a drunk person up stairs. She doesn't even like climbing them sober. She complains about it. A lot.

I hear foot steps and look up. Nick and some other guy. I forgot he lived in this building. No girl in tow. Interesting.

"How's it going?" Nick says staring at Autumn next to me who's on the verge of sleep.

"Great. Any advice on getting drunk girls up stairs?" I reply.

"I think you can handle this one bro. Good luck." The friend pats Nick's shoulder and heads up the stairs.

Nick sighs and runs a hand through his hair.

"Autumn wake up." Nick crouches next to her and runs a hand gently over her hair.

"No tired. Need sleep." This girl.

"You can't sleep in the stairwell Autumn." He says gently.

She ignores him and snuggles into me.

"Nope. You don't get to use me as an excuse Autumn." I tell her moving away and standing up. This was exhausting.

"Tired. Feet hurt." She says curling up.

Nick rubs his face and looks at her. He kind of smiles then reaches over and puts one arm under her legs and one on her upper back and lifts her up.

"Ok let's go." He says as we begin ascending the stairs.

I'd find this cute if it weren't for the fact that he made it look too easy carrying that girl. It's not trust me. I am grateful this journey was moving along faster though.

We walk in silence until we get to the door. I swipe the key card and unlock it and Nick heads straight to Autumn's room. Interesting.

"You know where her room is? Didn't know you two were that close." I said as I watched Nick carry her to her bed. They looked adorable. Autumn had nestled into his chest.

"Uh.....yeah. I helped April with groceries one time and was here." I pulled back the covers and he carefully set Autumn down.

"Oh yeah. You and April huh?" I'm hoping my questions aren't too obvious.

"We're just friends." He says too quickly rubbing the back of his neck. Looking down at Autumn.

"I'm hungry." She's still with it folks.

Nick and I laugh at her. She looks cute laying there with her eyes closed.

"I should go." Nick says looking at Autumn one last time before heading to the door. I do not understand these to.

Also I was not looking forward to the morning. Autumn not hung over wasn't the person you wanted to be around in the mornings. Hungover Autumn was worse. And it was kind of my own doing. Luckily she had work so her anger at me would be short lived.