Chapter 9

I spent Sunday busy helping kids with their pumpkin creations. And every second I had free I was thinking about Nick. No idea why. It's not like we really know each other. Yet I found myself looking for him and hoping he'd stop by.

At one point in the day I saw Henry. He looked quite hungover.

"Hi Henry."

"Please not so loud. Head. So much pain."

"So you must have had fun last night." I tried to keep my voice low.

"It was ok. Wish I had seen you. Now please I need tips on how to work hungover."

"I'm about to take my break if you want to join. My suggestion involved lots of calories."

"I like the way you think. And yeah I haven't had my break yet, I love to join you. See how you accept and invitation?" He nudged my arm as we headed towards the food vendors."

"So you're wishing your hangover on me? I mean dealing with impatient kids is hard enough without being hungover."

"Oh my god. This one kid today. I was helping her and her dad was with her brother. But every time she found a pumpkin she kind of liked, whether he was 5 feet or 20 feet away, she screamed at the top of her lungs for him to come look." I died laughing. "You're really getting a kick out of my misery?"

"Yes. Yes I am."

"So what'd you do last night?"

"I'm not sure you can handle all the excitement that ensued."

Henry laughed. "Hit me with it."

"I put on sweats and watched Netflix. Wait for it! I even made a cup of tea!!"

Henry got a big smile on his face and laughed. "Hey nights in watching Netflix can be fun especially with company."

"Henry." We turned to see Teigan and Darcy headed our way. Oh great.

"Hey Teigan. Hey Darcy. Can we lower the volume a notch." Henry said grimacing from the loud scream Teigan had made calling his name.

"Hey Henry. Where's Sam?" Darcy commented. I noted she did not attempt to lower her voice.

"Working. We alternate breaks." Henry responded. Still clearly unreceptive to their volume level.

"Well come join us. You can tell us what happened at Vince's after we left."

They grabbed Henry's arm and pulled him with them.

"Catch you later." I clearly was not welcome to join. That's ok. Slushee or slushees were in my near future. I might have a problem.

...

I ended up drinking three slushees over the course of the day. They were calorie free right? Yeah I doubted it too. Hopeful thinking.

My gym bag was in my car so I changed into my running clothes and on my way home I stopped at my favorite park to run in. It had a great path and really beautiful landscape. After I ran four miles. I headed back to the apartment.

I was ready for a shower. I was tired and still needed to get some homework and reading done. After climbing the stairs, I headed to the door ready to grab my leftover from the refrigerator and head to the shower. When I opened the door I heard voices.

I walked in and sitting on the couch was April and Nick. Wait what? They were looking at something on April's phone and laughing hard. Why do I suddenly feel jealous?

"Hey April...Nick." I said confusion on my face.

"Autumn, you're finally home. Guess what? Nick lives in our building. He saw me carrying groceries and offered to help me so I offered to buy him dinner. We got take out. Sorry we meant to save you some."

"That's ok. I've had enough unhealthy food for the weekend." I headed to the fridge and pulled out some leftovers and began heating them. "So you live in the building huh. Small world."

"Yeah. I had no idea this was where you two lived. I live on the sixth floor with another veterinary student, Trevor. I ran into April around floor three sitting on the floor with bags around her. She looked pretty funny." She swatted his shoulder. I wanted to escape their flirting ASAP. Go microwave go.

"I was just telling Nick about how you got dragged through the mud this week. Literally." Why is this story so popular. I try to help out some animals and this is what happens to me. "I was showing him the picture when you walked in."

I did a double take. "Picture. How do you have the picture?" I pretty sure my eyes were bugging out.

"Adam sent it to me. Don't worry it's not of social media? Autumn refuses to get any sort of social media."

"I noticed." I thought I heard him mumble.

"I don't see the point. And you can delete that picture."

"I didn't know you volunteered at the shelter. That's really cool." Nick said and looked earnestly over at me. Why did his eyes immediately make me forget everything?

"Yeah. I love it. Especially since I can't have my own pet right now."

My food finally finished. How long is two minutes? Apparently an eternity in the world of third wheeling. I headed to my room.

"Did you have fun with Henry last night?" Nick asked.

I turned around. "I didn't go."

"Oh I thought you two were a thing."

"Nope."

I turned and headed into my room.
What was wrong with me? I was currently massively jealous of my best friend which isn't fair. She's known Nick way longer. Who am I kidding I don't know Nick. So why couldn't I get him out of my head? I need to clear my head and shower. Once again I looked like a mess in front of Nick. It seemed to be a trend.

Nick on the other hand looked hot in a pair of jeans and a black v-neck t-shirt. He and April looked cute sitting on the couch together. That imagine was stuck in the forefront of my brain.

...

Later that night there was a knock at my bedroom door. I got up and opened it. April was nervously standing there.i let her in and headed back to my desk to continue working on my assignment.

"So I just wanted to apologize." April said.

"For what?" I was raking my brain to figure out what she had to apologize for.

"The picture. I'm sorry. I was just so nervous and we had been talking about you and I started telling the story and I remembered Adam sent me the picture."

"Wait you were talking about me?"

"Yeah Nick asked me a few questions about you. Anyway I'm sorry I showed him the picture. I'd be so mad if people were going around showing off embarrassing pictures of me."

"It's fine April. It is what it is. Don't worry about it. But do delete it."

"I did. Don't worry."

"Ok. Well I have to get back to work."

"Night Autumn."

"Night."