Winter Will Bring Us Together

Arnav sat on his brown Lawson, the sofa completely absorbing him, taking him back to the day they bought this couch.

Awesome Lawson, that's what she said when she laid her hazel eyes on this piece of crap at a local flea market. Arnav had seen this rotting Lawson from the corner of his eyes and it was anything, but awesome. The material was torn from the sides, there were too many cushions, and an abundant of stains. However, she was adamant on sticking to this couch.

He remembered how she had widened her eyes when he rolled his eyes and then nodded at the former owner to pack it up for him. She laughed out loud, her eyes twinkling, and the crows forming their usual lines around her eyes. She jumped up and down, and pulled him towards her from his collar, leaving a huge kiss on his cheek.

Arnav caressed his cheek.

He instantly jumped from the couch and walked fervently towards the Christmas tree that was partially adorned. She had planned to go all out this Christmas, but looking at her brown bags unde her eyes and the way she had a hand on her stomach to hold her up properly, he wasn't so sure. She had asked him to buy all the ornaments and hesitatingly he went outside and spent money on things that seemed unessential to him then.

When he returned home that day she had asked, "Did you get the angel? It's the most important part of the tree!"

Arnav looked at the tree and then at her who was rushing through the bags. Walking towards her, he pulled her swiftly into his arms, sweetly whispering, "I don't need an angel on top of the tree, I have one in my arms right now."

He had heard her lightly giggle against his chest, "You're too cheesy, my love."

Arnav let out a soft chuckle, "Only for you, angel."

He let out a forced breath out of his nose, this apartment had her written in every nook and corner; her personality, her aura, she herself was splashed everywhere.

Wiping the sudden dampness he felt on his cheek, Arnav grabbed a jacket from his tall black coat rack and under his jacket he saw a glimpse of the red wool that she loved.

Squiggles, that's what she called it when he had bought it for her from the local Hallmark's store. It was a red long scarf that had a weird pattern on it, like a long worm was squiggling, hence the name. She had always worn it during this time of the year, wrapping it tightly around her neck and sniffing it deeply.

"It smells like the most wonderful time of the year", she said.

Arnav took Squiggles off the hook and wound it tightly around his neck, sniffing it, he whispered to the air, "it smells like the most wonderful person I know."

Putting on his jacket, Arnav headed outside. Barren skies and the battering gusts were wicked tonight. His neighborhood was lit brightly with Christmas lights and trees, however no one was to be seen outside. A gentle hush cloaked the land.

Arnav squeezed his eyes tightly, all the memories of them rushing back to him. Trinkets of tears fell from his eyes, he squeezed them tighter. He couldn't let such tears escape the boundaries of his eyes, how dare them?

He wasn't going to cry, this was her Christmas gift. He always fulfilled her wishes, so was he going to leave this incomplete. He opened his eyes again, shivering in the cold.

Slowly, he didn't feel the cold as brutal anymore. The thought of her left him warm. His mind went back to the sterile room, with dull cream-colored walls. The lone hospital bed in the middle of the room with two worn chairs in the corn, frayed with wear and tear. There she was, looking as pretty as the first day he saw her. She had an invisible rope that was able to tug him closer to her.

He stood right near her, looking at the IV's that were entangled around her wrists, the heart monitor that sounded like a melody to him, and the oxygen tanks that were keeping both her and him alive.

He stared at the skin and bones in front of him, pale as a ghost, her face masking the ordeal inside. His fingers traced the beautiful eyes that always twinkled , reflecting the happiness that she spread each time she was around.

"What will I do without you?", wept Arnav.

Arnav kneeled against the bed with his hand gripping her hand tightly.

A groggy voice came alive, "You'll learnt to live without me."

Arnav looked up, erasing the waterworks on his face. "I can't."

"Your words are causing me more agony than the disease that is eating me alive from the inside."

Arnav's eyes widened, "I'm sorry love, but how can..."

Arnav paused, he didn't know what to say. He felt her fragile hand on his cheek, "You'll have to live without me, so you can live for me."

Arnav shook his head in denial, he touched his forehead with hers.

"You are my angel, you know that right? You were supposed to celebrate Christmas with me. We were supposed to experience our favorite snowfall together. Who's going to look at the first snowfall with me now?"

She giggled as usual, but this time it seemed like she was struggling to even breathe properly.

"I'll always be there during Christmas, I'm the angel on top of the Christmas tree. I'll always be looking down on you. I'm the glittering snow flakes that will fall upon your face. Winter is the season we'll always be together", she whispered.

He smiled, she always knew how to make him feel better. He opened his mouth to refute again, but no one was there to listen. The warmth of her body gradually disappeared, the hand that delicately laid upon his cheek had fallen, the girl he had loved was gone. She had fought a persistent fight, but it was time to let go.

Arnav now stood in the middle of his driveway waiting for the first snowflakes to caress his face. She promised she'll be here because winter is the season they'll always be together.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi guys, I was feeling a little mushy today and I saw this prompt so I thought why not to expand on this. I hope you like it, leave a comment and feedback, will greatly appreciate it. Thank you for reading!