Chapter-8

Underneath the bold letters "Xaviers' Bungalow" was another line in a smaller font- "William Xaviers and Katherine Xaviers."

Do his parents also live here?

Jonas suggested giving me a tour around the exterior of the house before entering, so I followed him along the stoned winding trail across the mini yard which surrounded the house. The bungalow was about a quarter of the total Valdez Mansion in terms of size.

"Who lives there?" I asked, pointing towards the decorated wooden door of the first storey.

"Mrs. Arabella. And her three cats, of course. Xav Bro and I live on the second."

I assumed Mrs. Arabella was a tenant since Jonas didn't provide any further description.

"Oh wait," he seemed to be planning something in his head. "On that note, you can actually give this cat to her. She would be over the moon on getting another one. She loves pets."

That indeed seemed like a pretty good idea. I probably couldn't handle a second pet; Bruno already needed so much care and attention.

Jonas decided that he'll hand over the cat to the lady called Mrs. Arabella after we finish our important mission- convincing Mr. Detective.

There were a few floral bushes along with the naturally growing mosses and ferns bordering the edges of the yard like a fence. The walls were painted in three different shades of a light color, the name of which I didn't exactly know. The only attraction of the bungalow would be the vintage veranda that protruded from the second storey, providing a satisfying shade to the parking lot. The slanted roof reflected the golden shafts of the morning sunlight.

We took the staircase alongside the parking lot and climbed up to the second storey. Jonas unlocked the door with a key he took out from the back pocket of his jeans. He took the lead, and we entered the house as a known figure came into view.

Kelvin Xaviers.

"Miss Amyra Valdez," he addressed in his usual official tone, recognizing me.

"What brings you here?" he questioned after a momentary silence.

"Xav Bro," Jonas decided to speak on my behalf, "Amyra isn't safe in that house. You do know that someone has been planning multiple attacks on her."

Mr. Detective shifted his jade green eyes towards Jonas for a second, examining him, and then back at me.

"Say something at least," Jonas whispered, nudging me by the elbow.

"Hi- Kelvin," I tried to be casual, putting my right hand forward for a handshake.

He furrowed his brows to that. First impression negative, I thought.

"I mean- Hello Mr. Xaviers," I mended my statement.

He crossed his arms and continued staring at me intently with an expression that I could not interpret.

I gulped and glanced away, avoiding direct eye contact with him.

"Hi," he finally said with a mysterious smile curving across his face.

I took back my hand swiftly and repositioned myself, feeling offended. Rejected my handshake, how rude.

"Hope you both had a smooth journey," he jested.

"I'm going to the bureau now, and I hope you will drop Miss Amyra safely back to her house before I return," he adjured, turning his face towards Jonas.

He prepared to leave when I jerked rapidly and stopped at a position where his face was directly opposite mine.

"Mr. Xaviers, please," I requested, but he showed no sign of response.