Chapter-10

I couldn't sleep. I made sure that the table lamp didn't flicker off even for a second. What if Mr. Xaviers was serious and not merely joking? I had to stay alarmed. I surveyed the room to find something I could keep ready as a defense. My eyes fell on a bowl of fruits at the base of the table with a knife plunged into one of the apples. Perfect.

I struggled to keep my eyes and all other senses active, preparing myself mentally for defense in case any attack took place. Even the silence seemed unpleasant; the only sound I could hear was the ticking of the clock as each second passed by. I don't remember exactly when, but at one point I dozed off.

 I don't remember exactly when, but at one point I dozed off

There was a knock on the door. I woke up almost instantly as if I was half awake all the time. I glanced over at the clock, it was 5:30 am. Who could it be at this hour? I elbowed Bruno sharply to wake that lazy pup up; it was time to serve his master. My breaths were coming out short and fast. I kept the knife ready in my right hand for any attack that might come next.

My voice was almost shaking as I shrieked, "Who's there?"

Mr. Xaviers opened the door. My eyes enlarged with anticipation while his eyebrows were shot up in astonishment at my silly posture. I quickly shoved the knife in my hand down when I noticed him looking at it in amusement; nonetheless, I kept my grip firm on it.

"I see someone didn't sleep the whole night due to the tension of what I might do," he commented with suppressed laughter.

I re-oriented myself a little.

"Who said that I didn't sleep? I had a really nice sleep you know," I pretended, faking a yawn.

He watched me with a look of doubt.

"Well except for the fact that your bed is not as comfortable as mine, it was a really peaceful sleep. After all, I'm all safe and sound in a detective's house," I added with an attitude in order to clear his doubts.

I really missed my mushy princess bed though.

"What's up with the knife though?" he teased.

"Oh- this-" I stretched the words a bit, taking my time to search for an excuse.

I hastily turned sideways, and plunged it back into the apple, lifting up the apple with the knife.

"I- was having an apple- it's good for health, you know," I blurted out the words nervously while taking a bite from the apple to make him trust me.

He tried his best to stifle his outbreak of cackle, but a chuckle was visible.

"What? Don't think that I kept the knife ready for you or something," I defended.

"Who knows," he shrugged.

"My hand alone is enough to break all your 206 bones, you know. I don't need a knife against you," I huffed.