Chapter-38

The case was holding me back with an invisible thread, but I decided I had to move on from it. Even some days back, I wasn't afraid to fight because I didn't have anything to lose after my closest person was gone, but now, I was. I feared to lose any more because now I had people I didn't want to lose. Mom advised me the same over the call when I had phoned her a few hours later. At least she was beside me. After Pappa's death, she was my everything now. And then there were Jonas and Kelvin. Because of them, I knew that I would have two shoulders to cry on when my heart breaks, two idiots' backs when I would be struggling against the world, two voices to make me smile even when I would be at my worst, and two hands in my hands to pick me up if I fall. It was a strange night, a night full of mind battle and decisions, since I knew I would be embracing a new dawn in the next morning. My world had shrunk now from the population of the Valdez family to four- Mom, Jonas, Kelvin, and Bruno.

Definition of best memories in life: Those days whose stories you would love to share with your grandchildren when you grow old

In short: The next few days of my life.

"Check," I announced, putting my queen forward by five squares

"We're just two moves away from winning," Jonas whispered to me in a hushed tone so that it doesn't reach Kelvin's ears.

Kelvin examined the chessboard intently for a few seconds as if he was cracking the new nuclear formula or something before a smirk curved across his face.

"Queen gone, and Checkmate," he purred in triumph as he neatly knocked off my queen from the board with his knight.

"What, how did you do that!" I complained.

"Anastasia's Mate," he stated with a grin.

"Anastasia who? Your ex or something?"

Jonas busted in laughter while Kelvin rolled his eyes.

"What if she is? You jealous or something?" he jested.

"Yes, I am," I replied.

"Of your chess skills," I added.