Chapter-25

"Guess what's funny-" I spurted the words as I stared at him blankly, "-my mom's name is Sophia Valdez."

"-Was, I mean," my voice broke as I corrected it.

Jonas opened his mouth to say something when another call reverberated in the stillness.

"Amyra!"

I didn't recognize the voice at one go, but I was sure that it was still somewhere in the back of my mind. Heart, actually.

My heart ceased to beat for a moment as my apprehension flashed into reality, right in front of me.

It was her.

"Mom-" the sound wave was generated with the greatest effort by my voice box, but it barely came out as a whisper.

She was here, right in front of me, beautifully aged in the timespan of a decade; I was seeing my mother after ten years.

Her ocean-blue eyes stared at me as if trying to spot her nine-year-old little daughter in me. I had my mother's eyes.

Did she even recognize me? I didn't look the same as I did ten years back after all. Kids tend to undergo more facial change than older people.

"A-m-y," she spluttered, throwing her arms forward to embrace me.

I subconsciously shifted a few steps back, not giving her the chance to do so.

"Don't-"

"-don't come near me!" I shrieked in between my breaths.

"Amy-" she continued in a broken voice, "-I'm your mom."

"No, you aren't!" I choked as my back pressed against the wall. "Get away from me-"

"Mom, what's happening-?" June inquired in a completely baffled tone.

"Amy-!"

He hurriedly clutched me by my left arm as I began losing my balance. I was wailing my heart out, but no sound came out. Even tears seemed to have frozen in my eyes.

"She left me- June!" I slurred, grasping his t-shirt as if I was a mad patient who just ran away from a mental asylum.

The undisguised puzzlement in June's face said that he was as shocked as I was; he clearly didn't have any clue of what was going on.

"Mom, what-?" he muttered, expecting an answer.

Momma stood silent, tears welling up in her eyes and rolling down her cheeks like rivulets.

"I need an explanation for this," he demanded.

We limped towards the sofa, Jonas holding me firmly by my left arm so that I wouldn't lose my balance. There was a long stretching unbearable silence.

"Mumma!" a call from a little girl sliced through the silence as she flung her arms around my mom.

She must be the other Amy.

I hated the fact that she highly resembled the nine years old version of myself, even though she was much younger. The little Amy.

"Amyra, I didn't want to leave you-" mom tried to explain, but I cut her out in the middle.

"Do you have any explanation for what you've done-?" I stammered.

"Lizelle!" she called the maid.

"Take Amy to her room."

After Lizelle had left with little Amy, she began her story.

"Your father sent me a divorce letter ten years back," she said in a low voice. "I wanted to take you with me, but he got your custody."