New job

Valentina's p.o.v

         My ass finally got a job. I work in a boring clothing store, organizing and cleaning. My first customer service job, and it was okay. I'm getting paid $9 per hour, but I'm only 17 now with no high school diploma, so I guess I'll take it.

   I was wiping down the counter top when a customer walked in.
    The store was pretty dead and I decided to go over and help him.
     "Hello sir, May I help you?" I asked politely. I gave him a big smile.
      Rule number one of customer service is to smile.
I learned that in my training.

He was a very big man, and had a lot of grey in his hair.  He didn't return my smile though.
      "Yes you can," He said roughly.
He held out a sweater for me to take. "I need to return this."

       I looked down at the sweater, but I didn't take it.
There was a no return policy.
      "I can't sir, there is a no return policy," I said. My smile faded a bit.
    He huffed loudly, and still had his hand stretched out with the sweater.
     "Yes, there is, the sweater doesn't fit, and it's way too much money," He said harshly.
         "No, there's not," I said nicely. "You can exchange it, if you like ...sir."
     He rolled his eyes, and looked at me with disgust.
He scoffed and walked out the store angrily, with his sweater still in his hand.
     What a child, I thought.
I watched his old ass disappear around the corner of the store doors.

     A few minutes later, Blake walked in, all alone. We make eye contact, but I turn away and head back to the counter.
    I look down and start wiping the countertop again. In the corner of my eye I can see Blake staring at me. I felt a little safe behind the countertop, but I wanted to make sure I didn't take my eyes off her.
         I looked back up, to see Blake walking slowly towards me.
    I wiped a little faster, feeling nervous. There wasn't anyone in the store except for her, me and my manager, who was in the back.

   Why can't she leave me alone? I thought to myself.
"May I help you?" A voice said.
     I stopped wiping and looked up. My manager was standing in front of the counter talking to Blake.

    Blake shook her head no. " No ma'am, I'm just here to talk to my friend."
       My manager smiled at Blake and nodded. "Please make it quick, she is working at the moment."
      " No problem," Blake responded. Blake looked right past me, and stared at something.
    I followed her eyes and turned around. A help wanted sign hung on the wall.  Oh God no, I thought.

   Please tell me she's not thinking what I think she's thinking, I silently prayed.
      "Are you hiring?" Blake asked.
Welp there goes my prayer.
       I watched in disbelief, as my manager handed Blake a piece of paper, off of the counter.
   " Yes we are. Just fill out this form and bring it back and you are over the age of 16 correct?" My manager asked.
         Blake flashed those pearly white teeth at her and nodded. 
    "Good! Hopefully I'll see you soon!" My manager and Blake shook her hands.
     I slowly shook my head, this was unbelievable! The phone ranged in the back of the store, and my manager left to get it.

    Blake walked up to the counter and leaned in, bring her face close to mine.
"Guess we will see more of each other." 
I barely breathed as she whispered her next words.
   "You can't get rid of me that easy bitch."
I watched as she smirked, turned around and walked right out the store. 
        This wasn't fair, there is no way, I could work with Blake.  She is way too scary, not to mention creepy.
           I continued to wipe down the counter even though by now, it was more than clean.
   My mouth got really dry and I was starting to panic again. If Blake is able to work here, what should I do?  I would have to quit right? I didn't tell anybody what happened to me in the hospital parking lot. I just wanted to forget it and leave it alone.

       I decided to go on a break. Going to the back I told my manager and I took off to the food court for something refreshing and warm to eat. Maybe I can take my mind off of this for a quick second.

       I decided to have Chinese food, and went to find a table in the food court to sit at.
       As I scanned the food court a familiar face popped up. It was Taylor. She was sitting all alone eating a salad.  She looked really good today, her hair was curled, and she had looked a lot better then when I seen her.
      She looked up All of a sudden and our eyes connected. I instantly smiled nervously. I haven't really talked to her after the shooting. Nobody really has, she had became a loner. 
           She gave me a small smile and motion with her hands for me to join her.
              I sat down at her table, unsure what to say.
"Hi," I said real fast.  "Hi," She said back. She seemed equally nervous.  "How are you?" I asked.
  I really didn't know what to say.
       I watched her gulp before mumbling a quick "fine."
        Well this conversation was just peachy.
"How's your sister?" I asked, trying to make some conversation.  Neither one of us was really eating. We just stared at each other.
    I forgot how blue her eyes were.
Taylor bit her lip and looked down, "she's good."
     She looked up and gave me a small smile. "Thanks by the way. Brian told me you let Tina in during the crazy lockdown."
     "No problem!" I squeaked out. I was gonna ask her about her mom, but I didn't think this was the time. 
      "If you want me to go, I can." I said awkwardly. Yes, she was the one who told me to come, but this was super awkward and we could both feel it.
     "I probably should be going any way," Taylor stood up. "I have to find a job soon, with my mom gone, there's less money in the house. There was barely enough food when she was alive."
        Taylor had her head down and stared at the floor, she obviously had things on her mind.

I decided to keep my mouth shut, I did see where she lived, and it was a very rundown neighborhood. Her house she lived in couldn't be more than $70,000. It was looked like it was falling apart.

     I stood up as well. I didn't feel so hungry anymore. 
   We walked to the trash cans together and dumped our food. As we made our way to the table, it was like a lightbulb went off in my head. 
"Hey Taylor? There's a clothing store that I work at, and it's hiring."
   I watched as Taylor perked up a bit. "Really?" She exclaimed. "That's great, I'll check it out."
      "Awesome! I have to get back to work but it was good seeing you Taylor," I felt a whole lot better now.
     Maybe Taylor will get the job instead of Blake.
I started to walk away, until Taylor pulled out her phone and handed it to me.
      "Do you think, maybe I could get your number?"
I nodded and smiled as I put in my number. Taylor was definitely not who I expected to make friends with, but sometimes people surprise you.