Avalanche of Feelings (18)

"I see no ring on her finger," Hanzo stated.

I thought that that statement would break our pretend but Lesley suddenly showed up.

"Hanabi, I found your engagement ring. It was on the sink in our room," she said.

She was running out of breath while walking towards us with the diamond ring in her hand.

Did these two follow me here with a plan I never knew of?

Gusion shrugged his shoulders with a smirk plastered on his lips.

"I hope you won't bother my fiancee again, Hanzo. Besides, it was you who left without saying a word," he said.

This time, he pulled me and we started to walk away from Hanzo.

"Thank you, you two. If you didn't come, I might have given in and believed his words," I said as I kept myself from crying.

Lesley caressed my back. I gave Gusion the ring and whispered to him that he should properly give it to Lesley.

"I'm not feeling really well. I'll head back first. You two should eat dinner together," I said before leaving them behind.

Lesley had endured long enough and she deserves to be happy with Gusion who had liked her for a long time.

I was able to breathe with relief while on my way to our room since I'd be able to relax and rest for tomorrow's schedule. Taking my exit at the elevator, I immediately came to regret saying that I was relieved. In the hallway beside the door of our room, Hanzo was there seating on the floor.

"Why is he being clingy now?" I mumbled as I walked towards him.

He got up upon seeing me and for some reason, his eyes were red as if he just recovered from crying his heart out. Why the hell was he showing up with such a pitiful look? Did he really think I'd pity him? If he thinks that way, then he got me! Damn it! Damn you!

"Hanabi, just give me 10 minutes of your time, please," he begged.

I didn't reply for a while. He was looking down as if he was embarrassed to look at me in the eyes. Should I give him the chance? Would he explain why he separated himself from aunt Myrna?

I let out a sigh before deciding to listen to him. At the hotel's rooftop, we stood side by side as we overlook the night view of Helsinki, Finland.

"Speak now, time is running," I said.

I never dared look at him because I know to myself that if I did that, I'd be pulled into his plays and there is no way for me to escape.

"I'm sorry for leaving that day and somehow pushed you to go on a date even though I know you like me."

I immediately covered my face with both hands upon hearing those last words. If he knew it, why the hell did he pretend to be ignorant of it? I totally look like a fool to him!

"And I'm sorry for not telling you about the matter involving your aunt. It's not like I was not grateful to my adoptive mother. I know sending her money for a lifetime would not make up for the things she did to me."

Wait, what? He was sending money to aunt Myrna? I thought he cut ties with her totally, as in no more connection in any way! That was how I perceived it after hearing it from my aunt. Could it be that I misunderstood it?

"You still contact aunt Myrna?" I asked to clarify things.

He looked at me with a creased forehead and replied, "Of course, I am not that heartless to cut her off from my life. I still consider her as my mother after all."

Did Aunt Myrna fool me with one of her actings? Grrr! I totally fell for that! Her cries were so realistic that it didn't cross my mind that she was simply acting!

"If that is the case, why the hell did you have to change your last name back into the old one? Why did you remove yourself from the family register? Do you hate it?" I asked.

I was starting to get confused 'cuz I cannot think of any other reason why he would do that. Especially that it takes a lot of time and process for that kind of thing to be settled. It's a hassle if I was the one to do that.

There was a temporary silence after that. The cold wind was blowing harder, if we stayed quiet any longer, we'd get frostbites.

"I came here so I could earn money as soon as possible. I worked harder so I could save up some money."

I smirked and commented, "Are you planning to become a filthy rich millionaire?"

He shook his head in response.

"By the way, Gusion emailed me that you being his fiancee is just an act. You got me there, really."

I didn't plan on commenting on that one because I felt a bit embarrassed. But anyway, why was he going off-topic? I was asking him why he had his name back but he didn't answer that question.

I turned my gaze at him and told him to answer my previous questions before we freeze to death. At the same time, he also faced me with a small smile carved on his lips.

He, then, said, "I did that because I want you to have my last name instead."

Believe me, I was never as flabbergasted as before like how I was today. No words came out of my mouth, I was just afraid that he might say he was simply joking.

He held my hand and took a step closer that he leaned forward to have our foreheads touch.

"If you're turning down my proposal, feel free to reject and leave me here," he added as he leaned closer.

How was I supposed to leave when my feet are rooted on the ground? I could even no longer imagine myself rejecting him after hearing what he said.

Thus, beneath the beautiful sight of auroras, our lips touched as tears rolled down my cheeks.

Damn it, I'm just so overwhelmed. After what happened throughout the years we were apart, I never thought that this would happen.

I never thought that such a happy ending would be our endgame.