Chapter 16

Edwin

We sat in a restaurant from which we had a wonderful view of the Dubai Fountain, which was just showing off one of its unforgettable choreographies. I stopped by her a few times when I happened to walk past her, but I never saw her from above. In fact, I've never been particularly interested in it until today.

Its water splashed just a few feet below us and was illuminated by colored spotlights. Water colored from the lights gushed out at regular intervals and, accompanied by familiar melodies, completed this magnificent musical performance. All visitors to the restaurant and especially Mia were abducted by this water show.

Personally, I didn't watch the window as much as Miu. I couldn't take my eyes off her. She sat with her mouth open and her diaries wide. Her eyes radiated undisguised amazement and joy, which I noticed in her already during our trip to the desert. Mia could also enjoy completely ordinary little things.

I didn't know her past, which surprised me. I never cared about the fate of others, but I wanted to know Mi's story. I still couldn't absorb the information yesterday that she hadn't slept with anyone yet, and I didn't even think about how nice a grandmother like Mia could still be alone, without a constant friend or husband. Where did all these guys have their eyes as she walked past them? What did they not see how unique and exceptional it was? I'd like to call Scott right away to get as much information as possible about her, but since she was sitting next to me, I had to wait with my desire.

It didn't bother me to watch her childish joy. I have never managed to conjure a smile on a woman's face with just dinner or a program. Natasha, the woman I last spent a few nights with, wouldn't praise my faith for that trip to the desert. Surely I would only complain all day about unbearable heat, sand, food, and I would not be able to get it up on my camel 100 percent, even if I bribed it with a check with a number with a higher number of zeros in a row.

As I watched her over the table, I felt extremely relaxed and calm, and I had mixed feelings. I was not so much happy with the fountain as with being able to be with Mia, and that I was able to conjure up the happiness that was reflected in her face. It was no longer just an excuse for my actions, but I just wanted to make her happy. I wanted the smile never to disappear from her face.

I took a good sip of the wine and nestled a little in my chair, because Mia clapped and nodded with each jet of water, which aroused in me the unfair thoughts I wanted to avoid.

"That was great," she whimpered, turning to me again when it was all over. "Did you see that?"

No, I couldn't focus on anything but you. I swallowed hard not to say the sentence aloud.

"I think you'd enjoy it even more outside," I said instead.

"I do not know! We couldn't see it as a whole there, "she replied enthusiastically.

"But you didn't hear the music playing in it again," I said.

"We can take another look," she shrugged, stabbing the last remnants of chicken on a fork. "They wrote on the Internet that the show repeats itself every thirty minutes."

"Do you want to see it again?" I shook my head incomprehensibly. I didn't see anything special at the fountain.

"Why not! After all, the children are not crying at home yet, "she said innocently.

"Children ?!" I flinched, almost choking on the word.

She lifted her head from the plate and her green eyes flowed with amusement. I myself was surprised by my reaction, because there was nothing between me and Mia and it was ridiculous to talk about a future or children.