Chapter 22

Edwin

I'm a coward.

In the company and in business negotiations, I was able to say anything out loud and openly, and I never took the consequences of my statements to heart, nor did I worry about them. It was stolen from me and I focused only on my goal and the well-being of my company. But when I had to tell Mia that it was time to say goodbye and return to my life, in which I set boundaries and in which there was no room for her, I did not gain that courage.

These were two apt words that I have returned to many times in recent weeks. I spoke them for the first time the day the plane door closed behind Mia. At that time, I secretly watched her from a safe distance and escorted her out of my life with a silent look. I sat in the back seat of a black SUV and watched her, hidden behind large sunglasses, move from the car to the plane. Her steps were timid, she seemed tense and shaky.

Shortly before she completely disappeared inside the plane, she turned once more and looked around. I held my breath for a moment because I was afraid she had noticed me or sensed that I was there with her. I crumpled in my seat and waited anxiously to see if you had noticed me, though I knew very well that would be unlikely. She had no idea I was there, because even Ali, my driver who brought her here, didn't know. I decided to come to her at the last minute.

It was beautiful until it broke my heart. I kept staring at her, knowing that it would be enough to open the door and I could stop her. She wouldn't have to fly today at all. We could have diversified the two days I extended my stay together, but at the same time I knew it wouldn't make sense. I tried to stay calm, but my stomach still tightened. At the same time, I didn't know what to do. Whether from the anxiety that this is the final end, or from the relief that I can finally return to my old life, or from the feeling of immense loss.

I almost screwed it all up. Without thinking, I opened the door and stood next to the car near the plane. I was sure Conrad had to notice me, but luckily he didn't stop the plane and lead it to the runway. All the while, I didn't even move, and with my hands in my trouser pockets, I watched as the plane began to climb higher and higher.

"Goodbye," I whispered, watching the plane disappear from view.

Mia couldn't hear me, but at least I needed to say goodbye to her that way. Since I could no longer look, I bent down, leaned my hands on my knees, and preferred to look at the asphalt beneath me.

When I raised my head again, the plane was completely out of sight and the blue sky was empty.

Finally, I breathed a sigh of relief and sat back in the back seat and was taken to the hotel, where it all came down to me. I silently closed the door behind me, and though Mia was not here, she could still be felt in the air. Not only her perfume, but also her natural scent and presence.

I poured myself a good dose of Scotch and fell on the couch. I had felt miserable since morning, and when I remembered Mia's sad and devastated expression, I was even worse. I knew I had caused her terrible suffering, and I must have exaggerated. Exaggerated? That's a weak word, I sighed. I really screwed up this time.

I tried to tell myself that I had done the right thing, even at the cost of hurting Miu. I struggled with the urge to pick up my cell phone and call her, but I couldn't. Now I was clearly aware that all my life I had been trying to avoid such a moment. I owned a business and I had to take care of it and not worry about Mia.

I was angry with myself for allowing things to go so far and not estimating the consequences sooner. From the very beginning, I knew it was a bad idea, and I should have placed Mia away from me immediately. Now I had only one thing left, and that was to hope that Mia would forgive me in time and understand my behavior. It's time to build on your life and forget about Dubai's adventures.