Chapter 19

Mia

Things have changed.

Edwin began to be friendly and attentive. It drew me to him, but I subconsciously knew that it would lead me to perdition, and the worst part was that my situation had no solution.

I lay sprawled on the terrace, thinking about what to do next. I felt a dull pain in my chest at the thought of being left with Edwin for the last three days.

I was aware that this holiday of mine was coming to an end and each of us would once again fall into our daily rhythm of life. I wished we could stay longer here in this bubble of ours, but it still wouldn't make sense to postpone the necessary ones until later. I had to torture to admit that I would miss all this, and that integrating back into life would not be so easy.

I got used to Edwin's presence, his warm hugs, his regular breathing, which sounded like the sweetest music to me in the silence of the night, and of course our reprimands. I learned to share my privacy and personal space with him. I knew that I had let him in, but the question, or not too much, kept me awake.

Could I say about myself that I am a loner? Not again! I had a bunch of friends and acquaintances with whom I spent a lot of time, but only now did I realize what it was like to return home, where someone was waiting for me with a smile. Although this was not always the case. The memory of our first days immediately gave me a wide smile. Our initial animosity has turned into magnetic attraction.

Unfortunately, Edwin and I did not deal at all with questions such as what happens when our stay in Dubai ends and what happens to us. By knowing his views on marriage all too well, I had no illusions about the two of us. It would be enough for me if, after arriving in Stuttgart, we broke up at least as good friends.

In the corner of my soul, however, I felt like I was more of a distraction to Edwin, but there were no deeper feelings on his part that could not be said of me. I flew to my ears in it. I couldn't say for sure if I had fallen in love with Edwin because I had never experienced that feeling before, but I could say for sure that I would miss him. I liked him, but I didn't want to admit my feelings in front of him, because that could only make things worse.

I guess we were both on the thorn and we were slowly counting down not so many days as the long minutes we still had until our departure. Edwin had also felt more nervous, thoughtful in recent days, as if he weren't completely in his skin. I understood that I felt that way, but why him? He didn't want me, and most likely he would let me stand abandoned at the airport, and he would walk away after his driver.

"Hi," Edwin's voice interrupted my thoughts.

I immediately moved from the terrace to the living room, where I found Edwin and Ali, who had their hands full of shopping bags.

"What are you carrying?" I asked curiously.

"I have a present for you," he said, smiling brightly at me.

Ali greeted me politely, laid things on the couch where Edwin had shown him, and then discreetly walked away.

"For me? Really? "She slipped from my mouth." What did I deserve? "

"And do I have to have any reason to give you a gift?" He looked at me curiously.

"Not really," I admitted. After all, it was his money.

"I booked a table for us tonight in Burj Al Arab, and since I assumed you probably didn't have any formal wear here, I brought you something," he grinned.

"What?" I shouted, throwing herself around his neck. I hugged him warmly and put a gentle kiss on his cheek. "It wasn't for the dress," I said rightly as he looked at me doubtfully. "But for the invitation to dinner."