9. Meeting my ex, Archer West

Chapter 9

Roxanne's POV

"Hi, I'm Zoe. I'm the new assistant manager." A blond girl greets me, as she follows the security guard who opened the cafe door. She looks really friendly and young, probably she's my age.

"Hi, nice meeting you. I'm Roxanne." I greet her back, as I enter the cafe.

So, she got the job that should have been mine if I was not hesitant yesterday and called Mikael right away.

"How long have you been working here?"

"Actually, it's also my first day."

"Oh, that makes the two of us."

"Hi girls!"

Someone calls our attention, and we both turn to the two handsome, tall and lean Asian guys that resemble a Kpop idol.

"I'm Jimmy, I'm the barista, and this is Tay, he's in charge of the cakes and pastries."

"Hi!" Tay makes a casual bow, then settles behind the table.

Zoe and I introduce ourselves to the guys, then we talk about our jobs.

"One of you will fill Shirley's job. She's confined in the hospital right now, she has covid." Tay's eyes look sad, and I can feel his worries. This virus is taking the entire world by storm.

"So, who will take over Shirley's job as a waitress?" Jimmy asks.

"Me." I raise my hand, acknowledging the job. It's pretty obvious, since Zoe is the assistant manager.

"You do the usual stuff. Take orders, serve the food, get the bill, and clean the tables." Jimmy continues, then turns to Zoe, "So, you're the new assistant manager."

"Yes, I am."

Jimmy goes to the counter and turns on the coffee machine. He takes some containers out and prepares his area.

I listen to Tay as he continues to orient Zoe.

"The manager is so busy nowadays, he can't take care of everything anymore. That's why he had to hire an assistant."

"I'm sure he is."

Tay nods, "you'll be in charge of the money, purchasing of supplies, recording of all transactions, and other stuff. You will find everything you need in the manager's table over there." He points to a room behind the barista's counter.

The job seems to require a lot of Maths. I'm suddenly relieved because I'm not good at Maths, in fact it was my hated subject in my entire school days. I can do simple plus and minus, but the multiplications and divisions really drive me crazy. It gives me a headache just looking at the numbers.

Tay also briefs us on the shop's covid protocol. Wearing of face masks always, social distancing with everyone, washing our hands regularly and spraying the tables with disinfectants after being occupied.

"If you have any more questions, ask me, okay?" He says, then we all leave the table and take our places as the customers arrive.

The shop closes at four in the afternoon, so by three thirty, we clean everything, in order to leave at four sharp.

I'm mopping the floor when a couple enters the shop. I feel like I'm being splashed with a bucket of cold water the moment I see them. It's my ex-boyfriend, Archer West, and clinging in his arm, is Pipa Marquez.

I avoid any encounter with Archer. Our breakout was so messy, we argued so badly and we even cursed each other. Seeing him again face to face recalls the things that happened that night.

For about five seconds, we just stare at each other. He is shocked as I am, his almond eyes turn so big and his mouth drops open.

"Hi, boss." Jimmy says behind me, "This is Roxanne, our new waitress. Roxanne, this is our manager, Archer West."

Oh, my God. Why didn't I bother to ask who our boss is? Why did I assume that it's Mikael?

"You're the new waitress?" Pipa comes forward and looks at me from head to toe. She laughs so loud, then turns to Archer. "Poor Roxanne, so desperate for money. I thought you graduated with a criminology degree? What happened, girl?"

Nothing changes in Pipa, she's the same bitch in high school who looks down at other girls, and humiliates them in public. She could not attack me before, and I won't let her think she can easily talk shit on me now.

"Sadly, not all people are born with a silver spoon." I say with a snap, "I have to work my ass to pay my college loan."

"Why here? What are you planning, huh? You surely know that Archer is running the place."

"I did not know until this moment that this scumbag is the manager. If I had known, I wouldn't have come."

"Hey, don't start it again, Roxanne." Archer finally finds the courage to speak.

"Now you know, so goodbye. Never come back." She waves her hand at me.

I chuckle, and give them a nasty look, "Mikael hires me, so he's the only one who can fire me. I won't get intimidated by both of you."

"Poor little thing. The badass queen in high school is now turning to Cinderella. Very interesting. I can't wait to tell my followers on Instagram." She snaps a picture of me, and Archer butt in.

"Pipa, enough! Come on, let's go." He drags Pipa out of the shop without looking back at me.

I sigh heavily with relief when they're gone.

"That is like a Korean drama scene," Jimmy looks at me with a surprise expression. "You were so cool, Rox, and she hates it."

"That girl deserves to be put down. Every time she comes here, she acts like she owns the place. She ordered everything and did not pay a single thing." Tay complains, his voice rising in anger.

They are talking about their unpleasant experiences with Pipa, when Zoe arrives carrying a bag of groceries.

Thank God, I did not get her job. I could not stand working closely with Archer, and have to spend more time with him.