22. Spring Day

Chapter 22

Grayson's POV

"The man dumped you when you were pregnant, and now you accept him with open arms?"

I bursted at mom, the moment she opened the door of our house.

"How did you know?"

"He came to see me in my apartment," I look at her with disappointment, my eyes are glaring, "have you got no pride at all?"

I walk to the kitchen to get a glass of water, and she follows.

"I know you'll get mad, I'm expecting this. But I love him so much. I want to be with him until we grow old."

"Seriously, mom!" I slam the glass on the kitchen counter.

"No matter how hurtful he did by leaving us before, I forgive him. He's a changed man now, and his intention for me... for our family, is genuine."

"My ass. I will never accept him as my father."

"Don't put all the blame on him. I was wrong too, Grayson. I deprived him of you. Everything that he sent for you, I returned to him, especially the financial support. I cut him out of our lives. Too many times he begged to spend time with you, but I denied him. It was my decision to hide your relationship to him from the public. I don't want to drag your name in any political issues and make our lives complicated."

"How can you do this mom? You hated him before, and now you're defending him, explaining his wrongdoings."

"I'm just telling the truth. I was young when I was pregnant with you. Your grandpa was so upset, he drove Oliver away by using threats and blackmail. You know your Grandpa, he hated the West, because of a long time family conflict. So, I forbid Oliver to visit or contact me. When you were born, Dad didn't want Oliver to have a role in your life."

"If you're trying to convince me he's a good man, sorry, my opinion of him will never change."

"Well, then I can't force you. I'm not asking for your permission either. Oliver already filed a divorce, and we're planning to get married when everything settled. I'm not getting younger, I deserve to be happy. For many years, I've been taking care of the three of you. It's time that someone should take care of me."

"What the hell mom, if that's your concern, then don't worry. The three of us will take care of you. We'll take turns in changing your diapers when you're old and get you a hi-tech wheelchair."

"Stop making a joke. That is not funny. All I want is for you to understand me and my needs."

"Do Julia and Brooke know about this?"

"Yeah." She nods, looking guilty.

"Dammit. I'm the last person to know again," I exhale heavily, "If you marry him, make sure you won't make the same mistake when you wed Jax."

Jax. Julia and Brooke's father. A lazy, irresponsible husband and father, who often stayed on the couch drinking beer while watching football.

"Just trust me, Gray. Jax is a certified asshole, I knew it from the start but refused to acknowledge the truth. This time, I know what I'm doing. If ever I make a mistake again, so be it. At least, I can say that I tried. I won't live a day full of regrets."

I nod and open my arms to hug her. We hug each other briefly.

"I love you mom, and I only want the best for you. If he can make you happy, then there's nothing I can do about it. I can't stop you, you're a hard-headed mom, you'll do whatever you want."

"Exactly," mom's lips widen in a radiant smile.

"That man will regret it if he makes you cry, I'll make sure of that."